Deleting unused modules and deprecated versions of modules

Clay Gordon
Clay Gordon
@claygordon
2 weeks ago
733 posts
I am still struggling with what is causing creeping disk usage – about 1GB/hr from somewhere after a bare metal reinstall.

I have a partially installed (missing some dependencies) version of Site Builder that is deactivated. I assume I can delete it?

In 2015 I used the Ning Import module. Do I still need it? Ning Notes?

I am no longer using Google Analytics (now using Fathom). Can I disable it? Is it possible to delete?

I have deleted FoxyCart so I assume I can delete Merchandise, correct?

I am having trouble retrieving the YouTube API key –
Youtube module API key is not retreiving info, check API at Youtube
Nothing has changed for two years
brian
@brian
2 weeks ago
10,144 posts
Yes - you can disable any modules you don't need or are not using. The YouTube API error is because you have hit the quota for your API key.

I did follow up on your support ticket and the disk space issue is not with the JR DB - something else is writing to your disk. If I can get an SSH log in to your VM I can check it out - if you want, otherwise your hosting provider will need figure out what is writing to your disk so much.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

updated by @brian: 05/04/24 08:28:05AM
Clay Gordon
Clay Gordon
@claygordon
2 weeks ago
733 posts
Brian - SSH credentials sent.

We *think* it may be MySQL writing binlogs but why that should be happening all of a sudden is a mystery.

We did upgrade to PHP 8.1 but I am now getting the following errors for System Check and Mailgun. So maybe there is something that is not fully configured there.
Clay Gordon
Clay Gordon
@claygordon
2 weeks ago
733 posts
As for the two errors - fixed:

it was because the curl php extension for PHP 8.1 was not installed
michael
@michael
2 weeks ago
7,697 posts
As for the old modules, there's a setting at CORE -> MARKETPLACE -> GLOBAL CONFIG -> MARKETPLACE VERSIONS of how many to keep around.

If you want to blow away everything and just keep the most current version there's a tool at DEVELOPER -> DEVELOPER TOOLS -> REBASE MODULES

That takes all the -version-2.2.2 and reverts it back to just its module name and deletes the other versions.

The first method is safer and recommended for production. The second method is useful for when you're trying to figure out the difference between files on the server vs local copies. Its hard to 'compare' files in different directories.
Clay Gordon
Clay Gordon
@claygordon
2 weeks ago
733 posts
Michael –

Thanks for this. After I asked this question I started doing a module-by-module look at the info and global config tabs and found the Marketplace versions setting.

Why would I want to keep more than the current version around (on a production server)? I am not doing any active development and so don’t have dev and staging servers.
michael
@michael
2 weeks ago
7,697 posts
No real reason that comes to mind other than peace of mind during the update process.

When the update process happens the new module gets copied to its -version-2.2,2 location then the main symlink for the module pointer gets changed to the new directory. From that point the old directory is not used anymore.

If you found something was broken or missing from the new version and didn't want to wait around in that state until a fix hits the marketplace keeping a version gives you an option.

Tags