New Chained Select - important upgrade instructions

brian
@brian
10 years ago
10,136 posts
I have just updated the Marketplace with the latest version of the Chained Select module - it has been completely overhauled to be easier and more intuitive to use.

However, this new version is NOT backwards compatible with the previous version's data store back-end, and you'll need to follow these steps after you have updated to the latest release:

1) Go into your marketplace and update to the new version

2) In the ACP go to Forms -> Chained Select -> Manage Sets

3) Click on the "Export Old Sets" button in the upper right corner

4) Select the sets to export, 1 at a time and save them to your computer

5) Go to the "tools" tab -> Import a Set

6) Enter the name (exactly as it was in the old set name) - i.e. if the old set was called "locations", the new set needs to be "locations"

7) Select the file you downloaded as the "CSV File" and press Submit.

8) Repeat steps 6 and 7 for each file you downloaded in step 4.

Once all the files are re-imported, you next need to head to the Form Designer for wherever you are using the chained select:

1) In the previous version of the module you had to create a separate select form for each of the "levels" of the chained select - that is no longer needed. So delete an select fields beyond the "0" field - i.e. if you had fields called:

profile_location_0
profile_location_1
profile_location_2

you can delete the _1 and _2 version - NOT the _0 form field.

2) Modify the _0 form field, and REMOVE the _0 from the end of the field name - using our example we would remove the "_0" part and be left with "profile_location"

3) Save the changes

The new version of the module automatically creates the select fields as needed.

There are also some important changes that are NO LONGER supported in the new module:

- select_and_text field is no longer available. This field was too complicated to function properly
- chained select "levels" are limited to 3

Our hope is that the new module is easier and more intuitive to use, and will be easier for us to support down the road.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

- Brian

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

updated by @brian: 07/02/14 10:10:24AM
sekeri
sekeri
@ilker
10 years ago
334 posts
The third level select items are not listed. Have you checked it? Or am I doing something wrong?

First and second level items are okay.
brian
@brian
10 years ago
10,136 posts
I don't see any issues with it here at all - all levels are working as they should. Double check your config that you actually have 3rd level options available for the selected 2nd level option.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
sekeri
sekeri
@ilker
10 years ago
334 posts
Is there an email address that I can send you username and pass for checking it online?
michael
@michael
10 years ago
7,692 posts
Rather get it sorted out here in the forums if possible. That way its sorted out for everybody and can be searched on later when others are having the same issue.

What are the categories your using for each level?
sekeri
sekeri
@ilker
10 years ago
334 posts
(snipped)
michael
@michael
10 years ago
7,692 posts
cheers, ill give that a go here, let you know what i see.
michael
@michael
10 years ago
7,692 posts
seamed to save ok, how are you outputting it? via the Form Designer?
sekeri
sekeri
@ilker
10 years ago
334 posts
I made a Reviews module using Aparna and add the "chained select" for categories of the Review while submitting. So the answer is yes, via the Form Designer.
michael
@michael
10 years ago
7,692 posts
All seams to be working. I updated the documentation here:

"Using the jrChainedSelect module by example"
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/howto/1753/using-the-jrchainedselect-module-by-example

With a video I made out of your example:
howto use the chained select module

It all seams to be working right.
sekeri
sekeri
@ilker
10 years ago
334 posts
Okay I think I guess the reason. When I first add the items in each level I tried to use something like;

10|Electric Guitars
20|Acoustic Guitars
30|Guitar Amplifiers
40|Guitar Effects

But after saving it numbers and "|" disappeared, only texts were left. I think that made an inconsistency in the db.

Anyway, now I deleted the set and created it from the start without numbers. It works! Thanks!
michael
@michael
10 years ago
7,692 posts
Great News! well done.

Tags