A Private Family Tree Site

alt=
@xsaintzx
9 years ago
2 posts
Hi,
I'm planning to create a web based, private family tree site.
If I create my family tree using MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, then I can import the tree to my hosting using Genosis right?

Will each family member have their own account login and can change their profile details by their own? Or everything has to be done by admin?

Member account which they can only edit content of his/her own, single profile.

Thanks!
updated by @xsaintzx: 05/15/15 03:38:19AM
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
Welcome to Genosis!

xsaintzx:
Hi,
I'm planning to create a web based, private family tree site.
If I create my family tree using MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, then I can import the tree to my hosting using Genosis right?

Correct - as long as MyHeritage Family Tree Builder can export a GEDCOM it should work. I've not personally used that product before, so if you see any issues let me know - a sample GEDCOM file would help me as well. One thing I have learned building a GEDCOM importer is that even though GEDCOM is a standard, most programs have small differences in the way that they write and export a GEDCOM file (some adhere to the specification much better than others).

Quote:
Will each family member have their own account login and can change their profile details by their own? Or everything has to be done by admin?

After you have done your GEDCOM import, click on the Admin -> Create User Account link. This will let you create a new user account and "link" it to a profile in the Tree - that way they can log in and check out their own profile. At the same time you can grant them Researcher status if they will be helping you in building the tree.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
alt=
@xsaintzx
9 years ago
2 posts
Hi Brian, thanks for your reply.
I'll try to use Family tree maker from Ancestry instead.

So once added researcher user account, they will be able to expand the tree via the website right? And admin too? Without repeat the import export process again.
Or could we build the tree from scratch on the website without importing GEDCOM file?

Can I hire someone from your team to maybe style and design the site for me once it's uploaded?
Thanks!
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
xsaintzx:
Hi Brian, thanks for your reply.
I'll try to use Family tree maker from Ancestry instead.

So once added researcher user account, they will be able to expand the tree via the website right? And admin too? Without repeat the import export process again.

Excatly...

Quote:
Or could we build the tree from scratch on the website without importing GEDCOM file?

Yep - you can start "fresh" without a GEDCOM - that's no problem.

Quote:
Can I hire someone from your team to maybe style and design the site for me once it's uploaded?
Thanks!

We can help - contact us at support [at] jamroom [dot] net at any time.

Hope this helps!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

Tags