solved jrGenosis Skin broke everything

alt=
@techiegirl
9 years ago
8 posts
First question, do I have to use the jrGenosis skin for the features of Genosis to work?

I am brand new to jamroom and I got it all installed, server configured so all the dots are green, then after installing the Genosis package, I changed the skin to jsGenosis and everything broke. The main page was blank and when I viewed the code it was simply two blank lines. Every admin and other page had the jrGenosis black and silvery sortof wood grain background with nothing over it but the Genosis logo top left which when clicked on, took me back to the blank page again.

I managed to change the skin back to jrElastic from phpmyadmin, but now what? I checked my updates section in admin and it says all the skins are up to date. What should I do?
updated by @techiegirl: 08/06/15 04:10:48PM
michael
@michael
9 years ago
7,692 posts
1. yes.

Skins are more than just a theme, the skin designers get to pick and choose what options they make available to be displayed to the visitor. So technically 'no', but no other skin is setup to deal with Family Tree creation. For example if you put the genosis modules into a jamroom system running the ProJam skin:

http://demo.jamroom.net/jrProJam/

Its got links to "Gigs/Events" which make absolutely no sense in relation to a Family Tree.

You could customize Genosis skin or customize one of the other skins to be a Family tree, but they're not a straight drop in.
alt=
@techiegirl
9 years ago
8 posts
Any idea why it broke the site as described and what I can possibly do about it? I can't find anything that might be related, and I have the newest version of Jamroom, Genosis, and applicable jrGenosis skin.
michael
@michael
9 years ago
7,692 posts
Hard to say without a description of what "broke the site" means.

Does it mean:
* my monitor caught fire and melted
* the screen was all white on a particular url
* an error was displayed

The answer will differ depending on what happened ;)

--edit--
re-read, you do have an explanation. A blank white screen will usually mean that something that was needed was not there.

In the case of genosis, at a guess its probably including something that exists in the genosis skin that wasnt in in the skin that you have active.

You can check for error messages at:
ACP -> SYSTEM CORE -> TOOLS -> ACTIVITY LOG
ACP -> SYSTEM CORE -> TOOLS -> DEBUG LOG
ACP -> SYSTEM CORE -> TOOLS -> PHP ERROR LOG

To narrow down what the cause of the issue was. If its something that needs including you'll need to put whatever that is into the skin which your wanting to use.

Changing the skin to another one should make the issue dissappear.

--edit edit--
As for "what to do about it" what is the goal your after?
updated by @michael: 07/05/15 10:29:32PM
alt=
@techiegirl
9 years ago
8 posts
As I said, the goal is to have a family tree site. I have made no modifications, this is a fresh install and everything was working until I switched themes from the default to the jrGenosis. The main page now shows blank, and the admin panel etc only shows the background image with the genosis logo top left redirecting to the blank main page as I described in my first post. In order to see anything after switching to jrGenosis I have to change back to jrElastic from phpmyadmin. I'm not new to CMSs or web design, I do this and server administration for a living. Everything in php that is required is installed and written to Apache, I get no errors from the admin panel before switching to the jrGenosis theme (no errors obviously then either as I can see nothing past that.) I really appreciate the help, honestly, but please read the entire post. This is all in there.
updated by @techiegirl: 07/06/15 01:53:05AM
alt=
@techiegirl
9 years ago
8 posts
Here, maybe this will help. My test site URL for Jamroom is thebowlings.thenicegeeks.com/jr/ I will leave it on jrGenosis for now so you can see what I'm talking about. Go to this link or the /user/signup page, or anything else and it is all blank. The login page shows the default sunset type background error page and anything if you are logged in is the silver/black jrGenosis background only. I've added a screenshot for that bit. It's like all actual content is nuked once the jrGenosis theme is activated.
Capture.PNG.png
Capture.PNG.png  •  406KB

updated by @techiegirl: 07/06/15 02:03:21AM
douglas
@douglas
9 years ago
2,767 posts
If you can send us your admin login and FTP access we can take a look at it for you.

Send it to support[at]jamroom[dot]net.

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
alt=
@techiegirl
9 years ago
8 posts
Information sent. Thank you so much for your help!
douglas
@douglas
9 years ago
2,767 posts
It looks like it is working now, I've activated the Genosis modules and changed the skin to the Genosis skin and I'm not seeing an issue. Note that the site will be empty until you get the first tree setup. Just follow the "Tips" by clicking the "Continue" button on the Tip Popup.

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
alt=
@techiegirl
9 years ago
8 posts
Looks like it was the modules. I didn't see anything about activating them after the bundle was installed. Thank you so much. Please feel free to close this thread or mark it solved.
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
techiegirl:
Looks like it was the modules. I didn't see anything about activating them after the bundle was installed. Thank you so much. Please feel free to close this thread or mark it solved.

No problem - when you install anything from the Marketplace it always gets installed into an "inactive" state (we don't want to assume you want it active RIGHT NOW) so you just need to go into the module's "info" tab and activate them.

Glad it is fixed :)

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

Tags