investigating Jamroom Installation Error (No tables being created)

alt=
@theshado
7 months ago
3 posts
Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone can take a few second to help me out here. I'm trying to install Jamroom locally as a Sandbox before I go mucking around a working live version for a friend of mine and I am at a loss as to what could be going wrong...

I am using:
Ubuntu 20.04,
nginx,
PHP 8.1.4,
service php 8.1-fpm status shows Active (running)
mysql 8.0.28

The config.php file creates just fine with the proper data, but for whatever reason no database tables are being created. I've also tried running the repair.php file, but same deal -- No tables being created.

I can only attach 1 file so have attached the error screen, but the "install.php" page doesn't show any errors and everything looks good to go according to it.

I'm not much of a network admin guy, so will be banging my head against the wall very shortly. Any help would be greatly appreciated as drywall is expensive these days=)
error.jpg
error.jpg  •  1.2MB


updated by @theshado: 29 Jul 2022 05:54:35PM
michael
@michael
7 months ago
7,550 posts
only thing that looks weirdish is that you're using nginx instead of apache2 other than that I would expect errors to be sent back from the install script during the install.

For absolute safety of expecting install to work I'd try Php: 7.4 with apache.

Here's my system install locally thats all working: (screenshot).

Also make sure you've set up a domain name in your /etc/hosts file. Jamroom doesnt run well on an ipaddress or 'localhost'.
check.png
check.png  •  169KB

alt=
@theshado
7 months ago
3 posts
Thanks Michael... Just following the code, I think you may have nailed it with PHP. It hits line 595 in the jrCore_db_query function of modules/jrCore/lib/mysql.php
-- return $res which outputs as 1 when echo'd

This is all called by line 1071 (same file) -- $_rt = jrCore_db_query($req, 'Field', false, null, false, $con, false);

Try and echo $_rt but you can't because Fatal error: Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: Table 'jamroom.jr_jrcore_log' for some reason shows up out of the blue, which of course never allows it to make it to the next line that actually creates the table!

I'll post an update when/if I get it all figured out in case this turns up in the future. Drawback of using the latest releases I suppose=)
michael
@michael
7 months ago
7,550 posts
There is a thread in the forums about us working on Php 8, this one:
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/announcements/64472/php-8-support-for-jamroom

and this one:
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/new_posts/65293/php-80/search_string=php+8

I'll open a tracker about the install issue on php8. Thanks.
brian
@brian
7 months ago
10,007 posts
I'll need to do a test with the latest MySQL 8 - I've moved to MariaDB for development and have not been testing with MySQL 8 as much as I should - I suspect it is something with that. I don't believe it's a PHP8 issue since I test with PHP8.

Thanks for the report - we'll check it out.


--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
brian
@brian
7 months ago
10,007 posts
This is definitely PHP 8.1 related - I've updated to PHP 8.1.5 and am seeing issues. If you can, roll back to 7.X or 8.0 and you should be good. There's some coming deprecated in PHP 9 that we're going to have to address, so we'll get internal trackers open on those.

Thanks!


--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
alt=
@theshado
7 months ago
3 posts
Thanks for the fast responses! Reverting to 8.0 absolutely fixed it up, now its dealing with nginx routing which I believe I saw a post somewhere with the configuration for that. Amazing support, thanks again!

Tags