solved question re: apply new Ninja update to my custom skin

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I'd like to apply the latest Ninja skin update to my custom skin.

Two part question:
1) I thought i used to have the ability to use the template 'compare' tool to apply ninja updates line by line to my custom skin (which was originally cloned from 'Ningja' skin years ago). But now the Compare button for doing that is greyed out. I only get the option to apply updates if I start with opening the Ninja skin and click the compare button to compare one of its templates to my custom skin in the dropdown.... but then I can only make changes from my custom skin to the ninja skin... not the other way around.
Again, I thought I used to be able to open my custom skin and 'compare' a tmeplate to a ninja tmeplate and apply changes FROM the ninja TO my custom skin... but now the Compare button for that is greyed out. Maybe I'm not recalling this clearly and it was always this way?
Is this greyed out Compare button telling me I have to manually copy/paste any updates from the Ninja skin into my custom skin templates?

2) either way, the new update to the ninja skin involves social sharing stuff in the footer.tpl ...but that updated code includes several references to "jrNinja" skin. If I apply these ninja updates to my custom skin, do I need to manually replace all references to the Ninja skin with my custom skin's name?

Thanks!

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 06/09/18 09:20:28AM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,695 posts
#1 if your skin was cloned from skin XXXXX and changes are made to skin YYYYY then you cant compare skin XXXXX to skin YYYYY. Because your skin was cloned from jrNingja its not seeing the changes for jrNinja. The root cause of the greyed out is the system thinks they are 2 separate skins. Go into the database admin and locate the 'jr_jrcore_skin' table. In that table locate the name of your cloned skin, find the 'skin_cloned_from' colum and change it from 'jrNingja' to 'jrNinja'.

That should get the button un-greyed out.

#2 the cloned skin tool should be working after #1 and it will do that for you.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I see. The problem is, when I get to the 'skin cloned from' column it only shows the name of my previous active custom skin... I have a generational series of skins that have been cloned anew over time, in order to maintain a few previous generations of my custom skin. Wouldn't it mess up my current active custom skin in some way to change that to 'jrNinja' ?
Perhaps I should be doing this instead to the ninja skin, to make it understand that IT was a 'child' of Ningja?
See screenshot:
download.jpg
download.jpg  •  262KB

--

updated by @strumelia: 03/06/18 02:24:30PM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,695 posts
try the first option first and if that doesn't work change it back to what it is now. You wont break anything.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
That seemed to do the trick. Thank you Micheal !

--