solved "Embed local media" works easily for images, oddly for files

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
With editor thingy in a Group discussion, I can upload an image from anywhere on my computer. But for a file (e.g. pdf document) I have to upload it somewhere else in the Research Cooperative, on a profile that has been given permission to upload files, and then attempt to cross-load it from there.

For some reason this did not succeed, though the system tried, inserting this code on the page, without actually linking to the pdf file (in square brackets): "jrEmbed module="jrFile" id="12", and without telling me that there is no file to embed (there is a local file to embed, I confirmed the upload to my Archive profile, and saw it there when I tried to embed in the file into the discussion text).

Why doesn't embedding of files follow the same pattern as images, and allow embedding direct from my computer, rather than through the intermediate step of uploading to an (unwanted) holding pen inside my network?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 11/19/18 02:46:02PM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
The out-of-the-ordinary "Embed local media" item is the image upload, the files follows the normal pattern of every item belonging to a profile.

one of the core traits of jamroom is that the canonical location for everything is on a profile. The non-profile sections are just there to direct to a profile.

Think: Jamrooms origins are many bands uploading songs to their band profile. The songs belong to the band that uploaded them. Everything that band uploads is not the property of the site itself, but rather the bands profile on the site.

So if Tom uploads a file to his profile its Toms file.

When the Embed Local Media module got made it allowed the owner of the profile to embed their stuff from their profile into blog posts.

Then the jrUpImage module was made to add small images to the blogs that weren't part of the Gallery. But images uploaded via this method essentially disappear because they dont have a canonical location.

There is no module that exists to add files that do not have a canonical location.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
OK... in my case I can use an Archive profile to store stuff, and then display it selectively elsewhere.

If the musician, for example, stores tracks in their profile File area, but then displays them elsewhere, will the multiple locations be found in the site global search? That might not be a desired result.

As Admin, I suppose I can make an invisible (and non-searchable?) archive as a storage area.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
The search should return the main location of the item which is on their profile.

You could sponsor the module to be built, jrUpFile that worked like jrUpImg if its important to you.

Docs: "Sponsor a Module"
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/jamroomnet/4931/sponsor-a-module

Its not that its difficult to build, its just that you're the first person express interest in it.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
michael:
Then the jrUpImage module was made to add small images to the blogs that weren't part of the Gallery. But images uploaded via this method essentially disappear because they dont have a canonical location.

Thanks for all the above.

How exactly do the images disappear? Is it because they don't show up in search results? Or is it because an image embedded in a discussion post might easily be deleted by the user or moderator? Or because it just disappears down low in an old thread, as usual for posts in discussion threads?

Is there any issue with spam checking? If a text is in the network as a pdf or docx File attached to a profile, will it be scanned by in house spam checking? If the same is embedded in a discussion thread, will it evade spam detection?

I understand JR is not designed primarily as a text publishing platform, and that's fine. There are plenty of other platforms dedicated to that purpose.

I'm just wanting to understand the ways and means, and pros and cons, of displaying texts on JR.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
researchcooperative:
...How exactly do the images disappear? ....

They're not displayed on any profile. You'll not find them in the search results, there is no tab 'UPLOADED IMAGES' on any profile. Unless you know the URL they're on its unlikely that you will re-use that image.

researchcooperative:
...if a text is in the network as a pdf or docx File attached to a profile, will it be scanned by in house spam checking? ....
No. Anything attached is just noted as being attached in the database. Since the text is not in the database where the search functions function the text contained in the PDF will not be compared with the users search string when they search on something.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
OK... I think this is enough for me to know at the moment. I'll call this solved.

Thanks!

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto