Is there a "Reply Order" setting as well as a "Post Order" setting?

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
2 years ago
694 posts
In the settings for forums, we have two choices: display posts in "Newest post first" or "Oldest post first", but can we then control the replies to posts?

In my forums, I use the "Newest post first" setting, but when replies are made, they are also shown as "Newest first" and the original post is shunted to the bottom.

Readers cannot immediately see the original post to which replies have been made.

Is there a "Reply Order" setting that I have not seen?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 08/09/22 05:47:30PM
douglas
@douglas
2 years ago
2,767 posts
You could modify the original post and pin it so it is always at the top.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
2 years ago
694 posts
Thanks, but...there are two problems with that.

First, it would require me as admin to manually pin posts on behalf of each member and their posts.

Second, the pin function affects the position of the whole thread (post and replies) in the forum, not the relative positions of the original post and replies to it within the thread.

Note:
Here in the JR forum, posts by different members are shown in Newest First order. Within each thread, the original (oldest) post remains at the top of the thread, and the replies are presented in Oldest First order.

What are the settings that allow you to have Newest first for different posts by different members, and Oldest first for replies within each thread?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 05/11/22 05:47:03PM