How Do Members Switch Quotas?

Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
10 years ago
926 posts
This is something I just accidentally stumbled on, by logging in as one of my members.

They are in the default Ning Migrant quota. If they want to subscribe to a paid quota that's no problem.

However, if they want to switch to either a free member or free artist quota they don't have that option.

If I make it a subscription option, then they have to enter their credit card info and pay a repeating subscription of $0. which makes no sense.

If I don't make it a subscription option, there doesn't seen to be a way of letting them make that choice.

Also, how can they get a default pop-out message (help tip) on log-ins. One that tells them to choose one of the free or subscribed quotas, and links them to the selection page?

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net

updated by @ken-rich: 07/09/16 09:21:02AM
michael
@michael
10 years ago
7,692 posts
Its easy enough for the admin user to change the users quota by looking at their profile page, then clicking on the 'Update Profile' button.

From there you will see "Quota Change To" and a selection of all the other quotas available.

Do you need to be able to let the users switch between quotas by themselves?
updated by @michael: 12/29/14 09:23:54AM
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
10 years ago
926 posts
Yes - I have almost 1,200 members coming over from Ning who need to change quotas by themselves. The migration tool dumps them all into one default quota.

Some network creators have 5 times that many members or more, so it's impractical for the admin to switch them, even if he knew what quota they would chose and had their credit card numbers for subscribed categories.

For example, in my case I have free artists, paid artists, free members, paid members, and charities. All have different quota settings.

I was trying to explain this to Paul at one point. What's needed is a pop-up for logged in members of the default Ning quota. It should have a message and link to a page with choices (free and paid). Kind of like this but with the addition of free categories that bypass the shopping cart. https://www.jamroom.net/documentation/image/doc_image/84/xxlarge

Then during migration, the former Ning members will quickly sort themselves into the appropriate quotas. Currently it is not even possible for them to do so in free quotas, and not a "user friendly" process in any case.

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net

updated by @ken-rich: 12/29/14 09:23:54AM
brian
@brian
10 years ago
10,136 posts
This is already supported (or should be). If there are "free" Quotas on your system and they allow signup, then in the user's Account Settings -> Subscriptions tab they will be able to click on "Start Subscription" for any free quota. You need to make sure the free quotas do NOT have any price configured in the FoxyCart quota config area AND they must allow signups.

Hope this helps!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

updated by @brian: 12/29/14 09:23:54AM
michael
@michael
9 years ago
7,692 posts
Added to the documentation:

"How to allow your members to switch quotas by themselves"
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/howto/2432/howto-allow-your-members-to-switch-quotas-by-themselves

Tags