solved Skins and Modules

RickStaRr
RickStaRr
@trickyricky
3 years ago
53 posts
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding my modules & skins vs updates. Hopefully I will explain this in a manner that makes sense 🤞🏾 as we all know:
1. whenever we update our system, JR will install a separate folder for the updated modules and skins.
2. When I go inside my server and review “the applicable” folder: modules/skins/etc. I see several folders for these plugins/etc arranged by version.

My question: do I necessarily have to keep all of these folders? I mean; are they required by the system to pass along current/past changes to code (if applicable)? I’ve discovered that these outdated folders are adding unnecessary disk space. I’m trying to make sure my JR doesn’t become overloaded OR am I over thinking this. Thanks 🙏🏾
updated by @trickyricky: 11/02/21 02:38:27PM
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
no, you only need to keep the very latest version.

What is happening is that initially you will have this structure
/modules/jrAudio/(all the module files)
then a new version comes out and the url /modules/jrAudio will turn into a 'symlink' to the newest version which will be put on
/modules/jrAudio-version-1.2.3

The main reason its done like this is because its quicker to copy all the files over from the main code repository to your server into the new directory /modules/jrAudio-version-1.2.3 then once they are all there change it to a symlink.

If instead the flow was to copy the files from the jamroom repository over directly to /modules/jrAudio/index.php or other file then if someone was using that at the time they could see errors.

If its just disk-space you're concerned about you can set the marketplace to just keep 1 version of everything at
ACP -> CORE -> MARKETPLACE -> GLOBAL CONFIG -> GENERAL SETTINGS -> MARKETPLACE VERSIONS

set it to 1.

If you're using the GIT version control system and you want to get /modules/jrAudio-version-1.2.3 back onto its main url of /modules/jrAudio/

then you can use the REBASE MODULE tool found at
ACP -> MODULES -> DEVELOPER -> DEVELOPER TOOLS -> GLOBAL CONFIG -> DEVELOPER SETTINGS -> ENABLE RESET TOOLS

Then
ACP -> MODULES -> DEVELOPER -> DEVELOPER TOOLS -> TOOLS -> REBASE MODULES
version.png
version.png  •  93KB

updated by @michael: 08/03/21 07:14:19PM
RickStaRr
RickStaRr
@trickyricky
3 years ago
53 posts
Hello Micheal, thanks for the insight. The first option worked for me. I appreciate it so much

Tags