Is it possible to clone a site builder page and all its content?

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
In the Site Builder module, we can use Tools page browser to view and delete existing pages, but not to clone them.

We can only clone specific widgets inside a page, and I don't think these can be cloned and dropped into a new page.

It might be useful to be able to clone an entire page, and then work on a new version while the old version remains live.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 10/23/17 04:55:33AM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
so when the page is cloned a second copy of all the widgets gets created? or the same widget is visible on 2 pages? So if a single widget on one page is updated, does its corresponding cloned widget get updated too?
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
My primary interest here is in being able to copy, duplicate, or otherwise 'clone' the entire SB page so a new version can be made while leaving the old version up, or so that it can be used as a starting point for a new and different page.

Douglas suggested using the Sb export tool (also in the Tools area of SB module) to export a single page, but when I go to:

/sbcore/export

I see a list of .json files identified by long code numbers and have no idea of what I am looking at. And if I export these, they will be outside my site and then require importing, etc etc....

For most admin users, a one-click clone/duplicate button would be convenient, alongside the delete button in the Tools browser, if it is technically possible.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)
douglas
@douglas
7 years ago
2,767 posts
researchcooperative:
My primary interest here is in being able to copy, duplicate, or otherwise 'clone' the entire SB page so a new version can be made while leaving the old version up, or so that it can be used as a starting point for a new and different page.

Douglas suggested using the Sb export tool (also in the Tools area of SB module) to export a single page, but when I go to:

/sbcore/export

I see a list of .json files identified by long code numbers and have no idea of what I am looking at. And if I export these, they will be outside my site and then require importing, etc etc....

For most admin users, a one-click clone/duplicate button would be convenient, alongside the delete button in the Tools browser, if it is technically possible.

If you scroll down on this page:
/sbcore/export

You should see a list of pages available for exporting.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
Hmm, that is one step forward.

When I select and export a particular page, a green highlighted message reports that the export was successful, but where has it gone? Exported to where?

I was not asked to select a destination before or after pressing the Export button. So off it goes, into the ether!

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
douglas
@douglas
7 years ago
2,767 posts
researchcooperative:
Hmm, that is one step forward.

When I select and export a particular page, a green highlighted message reports that the export was successful, but where has it gone? Exported to where?

I was not asked to select a destination before or after pressing the Export button. So off it goes, into the ether!

I believe they get put in the import section for the Site Builder module.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
douglas
@douglas
7 years ago
2,767 posts
You might also check if there is a sitebuilder folder in your skin directory.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
Export isn't what you want, you'll just re-import the old page over top of the existing one.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
Hmm.

I guess I am looking for a magic button to duplicate a page inside Sitebuilder in a way that adds it directly to the module datastore alongside the existing page, with a new URL and a -copy suffix added to the file name/page title.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
yep, no magic button exists.

Moved this to suggestions.