Search reset button vs going back to an earlier page or screen

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
With the standard forum module search field, we can get good results, but then the search field assumes that our next step will be to search within the search results. Just as often, users are likely to want to start a new search. In the case of my forum search field, it seems I need to go to the top of the page for the back arrow, and go back to the page where the search started.

I know that reset buttons can be set up, and I wonder if the two options, e.g. for "new search" or "search within results" could be given equal status, in an obvious side by side position, and consistently throughout the JR search system, at every level; i.e. "new search" should not take a person to the all site search unless that is where the particular search session started. If the search started at the level of all forums listed in the forum module datastore, then "new search" should go back to that level.

This is what I currently see as advice after starting a search across all forums in the forum module datastore:

Search Results For: "translating"
All Search Results for "translating"

[followed by the search results)

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 12/03/17 02:42:27AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
7 years ago
2,583 posts
It already starts a new search though, doesn't it?

You refine your search by refining your search terms.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
It starts with a new search, but then the user may want to refine terms, or begin a new search again.

Both are equally probable directions for a search effort: forwards or backwards (refine search, reset search).

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,689 posts
researchcooperative:....
With the standard forum module search field, we can get good results, but then the search field assumes that our next step will be to search within the search results.....
Not that I'm aware of. Its my understanding that all searches start new. If you want to refine, you add AND
something AND something else

Got an example to check here on the forums search? ( could be it got added without me realizing )
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
7 years ago
694 posts
Thanks,

JR forum search works as you describe (though how to use it is not exactly well signposted for users).

While cross checking with my own site, found a different problem which will need a private support ticket: I can add a term to refine the forum search, and press my return key on the keyboard, and it works fine.

If I add a term and click on the search button, nothing happens. On the JR site, both the return key and click on the search button achieve the same result.

(ps I have a custom-designed page where a search form has been added with a reset button, and this works a little differently from the standard system: the user may more easily realize what to do in order to start a new search when there is a visible reset button - a user-friendly signpost).

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto