performance test additional test

soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
6 years ago
3,304 posts
the cpu test tests
Processor Test • The Processor Test runs a series of calculations on your server processor (CPU) to see how quickly it can finish. Processor speed is important as it determines how quickly the Jamroom PHP code can be executed.

but we also need for performance consideration how quickly the actual php code is executed and served by the webserver over the network

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities

updated by @soaringeagle: 06/23/18 09:23:27AM
Dazed
Dazed
@dazed
6 years ago
1,022 posts
Load up JMeter - https://jmeter.apache.org/ and give it a go. The problem is that everyone will have slightly different results because most are on different servers. What might be slow for you might be fine for me based on my server specs. Look at your peak load and then go from there. If you have 10 people online doing different things, write 10 different test that a typical user would do. Then increase the user load from 10 to 25, 50 etc. This will give you an idea of what you will need to do as your site grows. I would suggest a test environment and not running on a production site.
My guess is Brian has a baseline tests done and compares it with the latest build and then checks for variances. If it is good, that becomes the new baseline and the process repeats. The team knows that under those server specs, the system runs fne. The biggest hurdle with most applications, that I have found anyway, is the database load. Clustered servers are great or if you have mirrored databases with separate read/write calls is also a cool way to go. All boils down to cash though.

You can also use pingdom tools https://tools.pingdom.com/ to see how a page loads and the time to load each object,
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
6 years ago
3,304 posts
pingdom tools is a help..to a point
i guess what im getting at is apache vs litespeed vs diferent configuration options php settings php handlers etc can have a big impact on performance , cpu loads, wait times etc
database does always seem to be the toughest thing to tune
i can't get to baseline (6.5) and hover around 8.5 ish

on that note
table_open_cache
gives conflicting info on optimization
while set at 2424 it suggests increasing it but at the same time says increasing it above 64 can have a big performance issue and its best to keep it below 64

whats your thoughts on that?

--
soaringeagle
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
soaringeagle:
on that note
table_open_cache
gives conflicting info on optimization
while set at 2424 it suggests increasing it but at the same time says increasing it above 64 can have a big performance issue and its best to keep it below 64

whats your thoughts on that?

64 is way too low - ignore what you read on that. Set it as high as the number of tables in all your databases - I use 10500 here without issue.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
6 years ago
3,304 posts
thats what i thought
thnx
alotta conflicting info

--
soaringeagle

Tags