users online country origin

soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
5 years ago
3,304 posts
on ocassion lately my site, and a friends related site has seen excessive sessions at certain times with no increase in analytics traffic that seems like attacks
on her site its clear when the vast majority are random ips from saudi
on jamroom its harder to guess without checking a hundred or more ips
so a great addition to the next beta core would be to resolve the origin country and add either text name or flag or both to make it easy to see where your legit gussets are coming from, as well as spot any deliberate attacks

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities

updated by @soaringeagle: 03/11/20 07:07:28AM
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
The problem with this approach is that when you NEED it (i.e. you are being flooded with requests) is also when it is going to hit your system the hardest - GEO look ups are not cheap (both in time and speed). The only real solution is to do it all queue based, and have the look ups throttled - but again, if you're getting hammered by hundreds of IPs then it's likely the queues will be behind and will not help you identify the IP origin of existing requests.

I like the idea I'm just not sure off the top of my head a good way to implement it.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
5 years ago
3,304 posts
how about an on request lookup a script that just looks up whos on at that instant and not ongoing draining resources

--
soaringeagle
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
We runs some really large sites. What if there are 1000 users online right now?

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
5 years ago
3,304 posts
list 100 per page get 1 page at a time?

or maybe a tool in deeveloper tools that turns on the resolve location on handshake diagnostic optiojn that way yiur not checking every use with an active session just new sessions asthey are created

--
soaringeagle

Tags