solved db system backup error Invalid AWS setting - unable to store test file to S3

soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
been trying to set up the db/system backup cause dont have enough backup drive space and keepo getting error
Invalid AWS setting - unable to store test file to S3

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities

updated by @soaringeagle: 02/23/18 02:02:23AM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
make sure your S3 Access Key and Access Secret Key are set correct for the S3 bucket.

The error happens when jamroom tries to verify that it can write to the S3 bucket.

The full message should be:
Invalid AWS setting - unable to store test file to S3/(the bucket name here)
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
they are correct veriufied 3 times and it does include the bucketname ill copy them all oiver again just to be sure but ive done that many times

--
soaringeagle
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
do i need to create an aim user or what i just deleted the access key and created a new 1 and still no go
i think somnethings changed on their end and simply creating the access key and buckets not enough now? or maybe poermissions/ i even tried masking the bucket accessible to public

--
soaringeagle
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
my settings look like this, seems to be working on my site. Not sure what the error is for you, hard to say.

--edit--
what action are you taking that triggers the error?
bucket.jpg
bucket.jpg  •  58KB

updated by @michael: 11/22/17 01:00:12AM
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
looks like that except the daily backup to s3 is checked
what triggered it is clicking save after entering the info
the bucket says 'use dns compatable name" which i think only means unique right
i dont need to follow any other rules?
i think its gotta be the settings on the amazon side

--
soaringeagle
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Yes - it's the S3 settings - you need to make sure the access and secret keys are correct AND the bucket exists and is configured correctly - basically a bucket with default settings. I know for certain it works - we use it here on jamroom.net, and I use it on all my sites.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
i swear its all good but ill create a new bucket asnd try

--
soaringeagle
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
nope just did the whole process over new access key new bucket all defaults..nothing
hmm
do i need to whitelist amazons ip maybe?
if your certain nothing on their ends changed (and you can set it up on a new dev site with new access code and new bucket) then the only other thing i can imagine iis the servers firewall has to whitelist the ip

--
soaringeagle
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
If you want to send your amazon keys to support at jamroom I can try them on my site, see what results I get.

But then would recommend generating new keys because those keys wont be secret anymore.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
ive generated key after key and created 3 buckets
i'll do it again and send it to ya but do you think the firewalling might be the issue? is that worth checking/ do you know the ip to whitelist?

--
soaringeagle
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
sent credentials
but heres something else
hourly backup of db is backing up only 145 megs about and i swear that db is over 2 gigs

--
soaringeagle
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
wait found this
[18-Nov-2017 20:00:31 America/New_York] PHP Warning:  S3::putObject(): [InvalidRequest] The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported. Please use AWS4-HMAC-SHA256. in /var/www/vhosts/dreadlockssite.com/httpdocs/modules/jrBackup-release-1.4.6/contrib/S3/S3.php on line 326 [16]

i think it was a change on amazon then?

--
soaringeagle
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
I would check your S3 settings - I'm not seeing that error here on my end using my S3 settings. Check your bucket security, and any where else you may have enabled a stricter transport mechanism.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
The error I'm seeing come back during test connection is:
The authorization mechanism you have provided is not supported. Please use AWS4-HMAC-SHA256.

at first glance it appears to mean there has been an upgrade of their S3.php script. doing some testing now.
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
Its something about "US East (Ohio)" that's the problem. Try "Asia Pacific (Tokyo)", it works for me.

I found that the same AWS Access Key and Secret, but a different region for the bucket caused that error message to show or not show.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
ill try virginia 1st, then tokeo
i was wondering the exact same thing!
since thats all i changed thats all it could be just cause i had a huge lot of data hoped to transport it closer

--
soaringeagle
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
virginia worked

--
soaringeagle

Tags