solved Chat error for some members

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
Hi, I have a couple of members reporting to me that they get an error message when they click on the Chat button on my site.
One guy getting the error is on his 2 Linux notebooks using Opera and Chromium, and the other guy on this setup: "private (Linux) and office notebook (Windows) in Firefox, Chrome and Edge (both notebooks) . Even Internet Explorer on Windows. Everywhere I got the SQL error."
See this screenshot of the error message they are getting, I would love to know what it suggests as a clue...
chat error.jpg
chat error.jpg  •  169KB

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 04/23/21 07:24:02PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
Couple other factors- I and another moderator on my site are having no prob with chat. The moderator is on Windows 10 and using either Google or Firefox. I have no problems on win10 laptop using chrome, firefox, and Edge, and also I have no trouble on Mac using safari, chrome, firefox.
Needless to say I'm not about to download Linux or Opera in order to test this, nor will I be testing it on IE. ;) lolol

The last detail is that I have the chat disabled on my site's mobile version. But I don't 'think' that effects this situation, because if it did then those guys shouldn't be seeing the chat button at all.
Any ideas based on their error message?

--

updated by @strumelia: 01/18/21 07:00:24PM
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
Looks like they're trying to chat 'nowhere'. Get them to select a room, then see if it still happens.

I thought there would be a default room that they got sent to if none was selected.
no_room.jpg
no_room.jpg  •  560KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes, the default room is "Hello All" and not sure why they are not there. Other people (including me) get sent to the Hello All room right off the bat.

Yes, I asked them to go to the top dropdown arrow and SELECT the Hello All room. The one guy replied:
"The SQL error is what I got from the 'select room' dropdown."
Kind of puzzling.

--

updated by @strumelia: 01/18/21 08:06:14PM
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
Is the default room one that's accessible to their quota?

--edit--
An SQL query error is a request to the database, so this is a jamroom issue. Browser and operating system will not play a part.

--edit--
Have them try logging out and back in again.
updated by @michael: 01/18/21 08:49:24PM
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
I can see the problem, its a bug in the chat module, I'll get it fixed.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
I just asked them to log out and then log back in , and to then try the chat on their laptops. But it's midnight here, so will likely need to continue this tomorrow. Thanks Michael!

p.s. btw I have not applied the most recent updates to my sites yet, just in case that's relevant. :)

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
Really, you can see a bug? Gosh that would be terrific!
(guess i'll have to apply the latest JR updates once you've put out the fix, I can do that when you tell me you've squashed the bug. Yikes, you're good. (insert emoji of little jalapeno man dancing around)

--
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
There's a new version in the marketplace now, update to that and you should be good to go. May need to run the integrity check but probably not.

--edit--
The bug is that its expected that the user has joined a room, but because they have not the query fails. Here's a screenshot.
bug.jpg
bug.jpg  •  2.3MB

updated by @michael: 01/18/21 09:06:24PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
Michael I will run all the jamroom the updates tomorrow- I never like to run updates when I'm sleepy and ready for bed, in case something weird happens.
Those members are prob asleep too anyway.
THANK YOU, I will report back here tomorrow with results. =8-D

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
3,602 posts
I applied the new version with the bug fix, and both members having the problem have now repported it fixed.
Thanks so much! Marking this solved.

--