user tip Steps to set up a network with subscribers

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
3 years ago
694 posts
As noted previously in this forum, there is no information provided in the jr Documentation for the Subscriptions module.

I have been scouring the forum for clues, and have found the following:

How to set up a subscriptions system for members of your network.
1. Create a signup quota for "Trial Memberships" or "Free Memberships" or a similar name.
2. Empower members in that quota to pay for a Subscription that offers something more attractive than the trial membership.

Notes:
i. The JR system does not allow signups directly to a quota for paid subscriptions. The technical reasons for this have been explained in this forum. Subscriptions have to be linked to an existing member profile id.

ii. Even when the Subscriptions module (inside JRCore) is activated, and the additionally required eCommerce module(s) are actived, it is not obvious how to give members access to subscriptions.

iii. Step 2 (above) is not actually explained. Ideally, a step by step process would be described using screenshots, in the Documentation, or perhaps here in the jr support forum.

iv. Since my existing members are accustomed to having free accounts, I will make their quota NOT a signup quota, and create a new signup quota for trial memberships. That way I can avoid any bother for existing members. The sting should only be for new members, and it will be a very small sting. I will try to be a good nurse.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 01/03/22 10:45:47PM