Event Image vs Source

lisa
@lisa
9 years ago
126 posts
I am wondering in what instance it is more preferable to add an image to an event as opposed to adding that same image as a source? The same image appears in either instance, and I am not 100% sure why I would add it as a source unless a number of people will be attached to it? Thanks for your thoughts! ~ Lisa
updated by @lisa: 08/06/15 05:54:47PM
michael
@michael
9 years ago
7,692 posts
Theres always a number of ways to do things, sometimes one way is better than another if you have other plans later on for adjusting the templates, but if they both come out the same now and you have no plans to extend currently, then I think its an either/or situation where either works.

An example:
You can add an image as a blog post image or you can add an image TO a blog post. Both end up showing the image on a blog. The advantage of the first is that you can check when searching to see that the image exist before showing the post in a list, the advantage of the second is more flexibility in where in the post the image comes out, but the first way you can make a more uniform structure......... but.... and.... but.... and.....

whichever is ok.
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
lisa:
I am wondering in what instance it is more preferable to add an image to an event as opposed to adding that same image as a source? The same image appears in either instance, and I am not 100% sure why I would add it as a source unless a number of people will be attached to it? Thanks for your thoughts! ~ Lisa

Here's what I do and I have found it works well:

1) If the image is OF the source (i.e. a census page, birth record, etc.) make sure it is attached to the SOURCE.

2) in events where you might have the same Source image showing (say you used the same source for death, memorial and burial) what I do is upload a different image (say of the headstone for burial, and a memorial service program for the memorial event) to the other events so the timeline looks a bit nicer :)

Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

updated by @brian: 07/06/15 01:13:40PM

Tags