solved Simple Chat / Ninja Skin some icons not showing?

Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Hello all,
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/modules/4543/simple-chat

Before we switched from Ningja to Ninja skin, Simple Chat was working well for us, with the icons (as shown in documentation) to widen or shrink the width of the chat.

Now, all we see is the icon to open the chat and then if we open it, we see only this (see screenshot).

Any clue where/what we should check to fix this?

Thanks,

updated by @holly-dilatush: 03/07/17 03:57:33PM
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
They are not showing because you have them set to !important to not show them:
http://lewwwp.com/core/skin_admin/style/skin=jrNinja/file=admin_log.css/section=changes

#jrchat-hidden-tabs { display:none !important; }

The javascript is trying to show them, but the CSS has !important so the javascript is unable to show them.

Its probably an unexpected side-effect of trying to customize the chat via the STYLE editor I expect.
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
Thanks Michael,

But now I have a question.

I agree that I see:
#jrchat-hidden-tabs { display:none !important; }
inside the link you shared.

I tried to find it inside our CSS files.

In the file chat.css from the Skin folder, I cannot find "#jrchat-hidden-tabs".
When I opened jChat.css from modules folder, I found it, but this is a code which I see there:

#jrchat-hidden-tabs {    display: none;}

Does it mean I should delete it?

And yes, we tried to make changes in our Chat in ACP, but received weird things so I did reset some of them. Does it mean we should make changes only in CSS files?

michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
no you shouldn't delete that. The issue is when you use the STYLE editor it adds !important to make its CSS take priority over the .css file's css.

In the .css file it is there so the buttons wont be shown when the chat panel is closed, but when the STYLE editor adds !important that takes priority.

What would normally happen is when the open button is clicked other css gets added and the buttons appear, but the STYLE's !important is blocking that from happening.
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
I did reset all settings connected with chat from ACP to default.
Is it a way to remove this "!important" now?

Does it mean that I should make all changes in CSS files instead of making some of them in Style?
Does it mean that even a tiny change in a one place add "!important" to everything?

Sorry for my silly questions but I want to understand the way how some things work here.
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Im not sure what you changed to make it appear, that CSS tag is not one of the options of things to change. Only things that are changed should get the !important added to them.

Any idea what was adjusted. If I can locate steps to recreate it I can understand the cause and put code in to make sure it doesn't happen by accident.
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
I'm sorry Michael for the late reply.

We changed the skin to Ninja and I wanted to change some colors in the chat (the background, the color of the icon 'upload'). I also tried to change the size of some bubbles because our members complain that some of them are too tiny.

During these changes I observed the weird behavior of chat (it didn't want to hide, I couldn't write messages) so I did reset all changes to default.

Today I tried to find "jrchat-hidden-tabs" in our Style in ACP but I couldn't.
You said that only things which I changed should have changed (if only I understood you correctly).

I didnt make changes in CSS files.

Thanks
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
This is something we are investigating to find out why the chat CSS was overridden when it should not have been.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
OK
Thank you :)
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
I have reset the chat CSS on your site for you and moved it out of the style section. I have not been able to replicate this here, but will continue to check for it. If it happens again, and you can note what you did just preceding it, let us know.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Thank you! Working like a charm now. Hooray for Jamroom once again!

Tags