Large video hosting on JR site

Xephius
Xephius
@xephius
7 years ago
93 posts
Hey all,

I want to 'pre-release' about one video a month to a select Quota of users only. If I post the video on YouTube and share the link with the Quota, it is still available to anyone who gets the link. (And they all share them) I watned to host the video directly on our site so the user must be logged into the site to see the video, but the files tend to be 3-4gigs, not megs. (30min-1.5h shows in 1080p) The posted limit says 512meg.

1) Can I increase the size limit to handle our larger videos?
2) Is there another way to keep the video secure to only a specific Quota? (offsite hosting + script?)

Clear skies,
John
updated by @xephius: 09/06/17 06:13:24AM
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,144 posts
Hi John -

1) Yes - we can set this as high as you would like - note however that you will need to have the server RAM to accommodate the file.

2) This can probably be done via a custom event listener. Note that if the video is embedded OFFSITE, the user would have to be logged in to your site for it to work.

Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Xephius
Xephius
@xephius
7 years ago
93 posts
Brian,

Sweet, excellent news on both fronts I think. M04r questions.

1) Is there a ratio I should be aware of? We don't expect a lot of usage, maybe 100's to low 1000's of videos per video in a month, then moved to YouTube for public use. Any guidelines on RAM/Hosting to large video files would be useful. This seems like a potential hold over until I can go for solution #2. :)

2) Thanks for the lead on the custom event listener, I will follow up on that.

Follow up: "Note that if the video is embedded OFFSITE, the user would have to be logged in to your site for it to work."

So, is it possible to make a YouTube video only viewable to users logged in to a specific quota, and such that they couldn't get the link to re-share? I am sorry I may not understand how "embedded OFFSITE" vs how I currently link to YouTube maybe different.

Clear skies,
John
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
7 years ago
2,583 posts
For 2) you can certainly do that using Vimeo, we do that for some of ours (might require a vimeo pro account).

You can set the video on vimeo to not allow listing, not allow download etc and specify the site address where it is allowed to be embedded. Then only show the embed or the page with the embed on it to logged in users on a certain quota.
Go to the video, select Privacy
For "Who can watch this video?" select Hide this video from Vimeo.com
For "Where can this video be embedded?" select No one then enter yoursite.com in the domains text input.
For "Who can comment on this video?" select No one
For "What can people do with this video?" uncheck Download it
Then save.

If Vimeo does that I suspect you will be able to achieve the same thing on YouTube as well.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,144 posts
Xephius:
1) Is there a ratio I should be aware of? We don't expect a lot of usage, maybe 100's to low 1000's of videos per video in a month, then moved to YouTube for public use. Any guidelines on RAM/Hosting to large video files would be useful. This seems like a potential hold over until I can go for solution #2. :)

For the most part, if you have a 1Gig Video file, you want to have a Gig of RAM and so. JR doesn't actually use that much memory internally, it just ensures there's enough for dealing with that large of a file if it has to be reconverted.

Quote:
So, is it possible to make a YouTube video only viewable to users logged in to a specific quota, and such that they couldn't get the link to re-share? I am sorry I may not understand how "embedded OFFSITE" vs how I currently link to YouTube maybe different.

No - we can't control anything about a user viewing a video on YouTube. If you want to restrict the viewing of a video file, you will have to host that video file on your Jamroom site and not on YouTube.

Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
Xephius
Xephius
@xephius
7 years ago
93 posts
Thanks UltraJam, and Brian. ;)

I suspect the fastest/elegant solution is to host on the JR. What process should I follow to increase my video size restriction? I will keep an eye on our memory usage and we will bump to a larger server if we need more!

Clear skies,
John
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,144 posts
You will just want to make sure the "max allowed upload" is set to what you want to allow in the Core -> Quota Config. That will be the max size of video file that can be uploaded. It can be increased if needed as long as the server has the RAM.

--
Brian Johnson
Xephius
Xephius
@xephius
7 years ago
93 posts
Hey Brian,

I checked it out (Core -> Quota Config) and it is a drop down list with the last entry of '512MB- max allowed'. Do I need to increase the RAM for that number to go up?
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,144 posts
Xephius:
Hey Brian,

I checked it out (Core -> Quota Config) and it is a drop down list with the last entry of '512MB- max allowed'. Do I need to increase the RAM for that number to go up?

I think we could go a little bit higher on your server - you've got 4G RAM, of which ~2G is for the DB. I would say maybe 640mb or 768mb would be about as large as you'd want to go. How large of file do you want to be able to handle?

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Xephius
Xephius
@xephius
7 years ago
93 posts
2 - 6 Gigabites = 30min - 1.5h 1080p .mp4

The current file I want to upload is 2.4Gb.

I think we can bump to the next server level to double the RAM and that should help a little. Do you think that will be enough?

Clear skies,
John
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,144 posts
Oh yeah that is a large file - that's going to take some time for conversion. You'd definitely want to upgrade to the next level server - with 8G RAM I'd be comfortable handling that large of a file.

--
Brian Johnson
Xephius
Xephius
@xephius
7 years ago
93 posts
Ok, :)

I upgraded the server, I noticed everything seemed to upgrade but the cores are still at 2, and the max size for uploads also did not change. Do you need to make any adjustments on the other side for that to take effect?

John
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,144 posts
Xephius:
Ok, :)

I upgraded the server, I noticed everything seemed to upgrade but the cores are still at 2, and the max size for uploads also did not change. Do you need to make any adjustments on the other side for that to take effect?

John

You're at 4 cores now, with 8 Gigs RAM. When I am back in the office tomorrow morning I can get a special config in to your server that will allow uploads up to 3 gigs, and I will let you know.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson