solved Simple Chat Acting Strange After Recent Updates?

Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
My users that are non admins are reporting that when they upload images to the chat they can not see the image they uploaded when they click it only shows the default profile image we have set for members that sign up without uploading a profile pic? Me and another admin are able to see the actual images they upload though? Any idea what is going on ?
updated by @zachary-moonshine: 04/12/18 09:35:09AM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,696 posts
There was an update recently that dealt with users that are not allowed to be in a chat-room able to view images. That was the issue that was fixed, but it seams like what you're saying is those users ARE allowed in the chat room but can't see the images.

Got steps to set up so I can check it out from here. See if I can reproduce it.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
its basically a regular user uploads an image and tries to look at it in the popout viewer and it shows instead the default picture that is loaded into the site for profiles that dont upload a pic as there profile picture.

So you just have to first set up a default image as the image used for profiles with no image.
Then as a regular user with or without a profile pic go to simple chat and upload a pic inside chat then click it to look at it and you will see a diff image than what you uploaded.

me and a few other admins can see perfectly fine the original image that was uploaded as it should be but the regular user cant.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I've just gotten a report of this same thing from one of my Profile Admins.
Here is what he wrote this morning:
=====
"In the chat room, when I upload a picture. Instead of the picture I selected it puts the picture of the dulcimer avatar for the new members. This just started yesterday. On my end, it shows what I uploaded. But If the others in chat click the download button, it shows what I uploaded. They can only see it if they download it.
I had Rob upload a pic and I clicked on it, it opened. Opened for Cynthia, too. Cynthia uploaded a pic and I could open it, but Rob had to download it.
This craziness started yesterday. Was there some kind of update that could have caused this?
Oh, if a link for a video is uploaded, it works fine."

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,144 posts
We use Chat all the time here on jamroom.net and I've never seen this. If you can reproduce it let me know.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,696 posts
Can reproduce under these circumstances:
* an admin user creates a private room and invites @one into it
* the admin user uploads an image to the private room.
* admin can see the image they just uploaded, but @one cant.

The reverse is not true. If @one uploads an image to that private chat room, both admin and @one can view it.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I just experienced it without making private chat rooms on my site fotmd.com
As Admin, I attached 4 jpgs one after another into my chat posts. As Admin, I could see them fine when clicking on them. Then I logged in as a regular (test) member, and I could still see them all fine- but figured maybe that's cause I had them on my computer. So I asked a live regular member to post a jpg... and I could only see the defualt avatar, even when logged in as Admin. It seems though that everyone can download the attached images and see them that way. But this is happening a lot, but not always, for everyone in my chat. Take a look at my chat right now and you'll people posting their results. But if you are logged into my chat as an admin, you may not experience the problem. If you want my regular member test login, just message me or something.

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
yeah we dont use a private chat we have one community chat we all use on my site
gary.moncrieff
gary.moncrieff
@garymoncrieff
6 years ago
865 posts
Could I suggest trying to reproduce it in the chat here, that would allow the guys to see first hand what's happening.
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,696 posts
We can reproduce it. Its related to the privacy system, investigating it.
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,144 posts
This is fixed in the latest Simple Chat release - update and you should be good.

Hope this helps!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
My members report that this fix has worked- thanks so much Brian and Michael! :)

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
thanks a lot guys all seems to work fine now