solved a couple of minor Chat suggestions

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
See screenshot.
1) When you make the chat pane really wide the issue does not occur, but when it's of 'normal' or narrow width any member names that are long will overlap that member's chat message, making it hard to read.
2) the 'help' hover language for the bottom button says merely "chat", when it should say either "collapse chat pane" or "hide chat pane".

Thanks, my members just looove the JR Chat !
chat.jpg
chat.jpg  •  384KB

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 01/13/19 07:59:19PM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
I'm not seeing the overlap for the names thing, do you have your browser zoomed in? which browser are you looking at it in?

For the text "Open/Close chat pane". because its the same text regardless of state.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I'm seeing the overlap name thing in Chrome on win7, on a large desktop monitor with the JR screen/browser window large, at 16 inches wide. That's where I took my screenshot.

Yes, I now see that it's difficult since you use the same hover message for both states.
Maybe then if you could change the button hover help to "Open/Close chat pane" instead, or simply "open/Close Chat", it would be much helpful than just "chat". Can I change it in one of the lines of my chat module Language area?
I should say that I had a longtime active site member recently who couldn't figure out how to close the chat pane once it was opened, and asked for help. Go figure. Anyway, 'hover' Help messages are definitely helpful, on my site anyway.

--

updated by @strumelia: 10/03/18 07:11:51AM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
We've got the name changed, but cant reproduce the large text issue.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
The overlapping name issue only happens when chat pane is narrow or narrow-ish.

But - did you do something yesterday? Because it looks as though the problem suddenly stopped happening sometime yesterday- see screenshot:
chat.jpg
chat.jpg  •  71KB

--
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
nope, didnt do anything. And whats really weird (to me) is that both are visible on the same page.

In my mind I expected it to be CSS that was at the root cause of the issue, but the CSS is applied to the whole page, not on a per-day basis.

No idea whats going on there. if its fixed im happy though :)

fingers crossed it stays looking correct.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
After looking at my chat window and looking at the above screenshot again, I realized something about WHEN this is happening:
On the chat posts from previous days, it includes the DATE and TIME... as in for example Mon Oct 08 2018, 8:03 AM. That makes the timestamp looong. And it overlaps the message text IF the user name is also long (longer than for example "Michael")
On chat posts for the CURRENT day, it only lists the TIME, as in 7:17 PM. (with no date). That makes the timestamp short, and it does not overlap the text, even when the user name is kinda long.
I saw that if you look in my above screenshot, the point at which you can see the overlap stopped is when the posts are from TODAY (with no date in their timestamp- only the time). And the two gentlemen chatting had longish user names (like Frank Ross instead of just Frank).
That's why, as you noticed, both are visible on the same page... because of the chat post timestamp switchover from prior days to today.

To see the overlap happen, you need to have:
1) the chat pane in one of the two narrowest settings, AND
2) look at posts from prior to today, AND
3) have the user name be not short... as in my members Frank Ross, and Jim Fawcett.

Those 3 things happen frequently on my site's chat, which is why I'm seeing/noticing it more than you. In your chatroom on this site, you can see/make it happen for those 3 factors with the past (March 14th) chat posts from user WJMXRadio because his name is longer than Goddess or Brian, etc.

--
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
I don't see this issue on my end. My screenshot is Elastic 2 set to narrowest. I also do not see any issues here on Jamroom.net. Based on your screenshot it looks like you've changed the "jrchat-msg-byline" CSS class to be much larger - you will want to set the font-size for that much smaller.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Ok, but I'm seeing it occur in this site as well- see NEW screenshot below. That's why I don't think it's due to a setting just on my own site.
I don't 'think' I've ever changed the css for a chat byline. Where in the Chat module's Style tab would I find that setting, and what's the default? (in Ninja skin)- I can go check.

I'm on Win7, Chrome, on a big desktop monitor..
Doesn't anyone else see this happen when they make the chat pane narrow?

All this said, I don't see this as a critical issue by any means, that's why I called this thread "minor suggestions". But I'm seeing it both here on Jamroom.net and on my own site. I don't want you guys to have to spend a lot of time on it- it's really more of a curiosity than a 'problem'.
chat2.jpg
chat2.jpg  •  281KB

--

updated by @strumelia: 10/10/18 11:27:07AM
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
My guess is that this is something unique to your setup. I've tested this here with both Chrome on Mac AND Windows, and don't see this. Make sure under your Chrome "View" menu you have it set to "Actual Size" for jamroom.net. Otherwise it could be a browser plugin messing with the text size. Regardless, the CSS here on jamroom.net is correct.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Ok thanks for looking into that overlapping text thing Brian. It's not a critical issue for me.

michael:
We've got the name changed, but cant reproduce the large text issue.
Not sure what/where you mean Michael, since I'm not seeing any change in my site- do you mean that will be in the next chat update? If so, then that's great, am happy to wait for that.

--
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
Its not been released yet, that will be in the next version.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Thank you Michael and Brian! I'll marked this thread solved then.

--