@strumelia
5 years ago
3,602 posts
Hi,
The latest update to Comments says:
-----------------
User Comments module change log
Version 2.1.2:
- Change: Performance updates when deleting comments on a system with a very large number of comments
- Bug Fix: File attachments on comments may not be moved to the recycle Bin in some cases
----------------
I'm wondering whether that bug fix means that I have been storing hundreds, perhaps thousands, of attached files from long since deleted comments on my site? Or is it just that they got deleted from the server right away, without sitting in the recycle bin for a while along with the deleted comment itself?
Particularly since I use Groups a whole lot- and ALL the posts in Group discussions are actually Comments. My music site has several thousand members and they love to attach big photos, music files, etc to their posts/comments all the time.

What happened to all those prior file attachments that didn't get moved to the recycle bin? Did they get deleted from my server when I deleted a group discussion or a comment, or did the attached files stay on my server?
I worry that all these files have wound up taking up space on my server, forever in limbo as orphan files that I can't identify and dump.
If so, do they eventually get deleted when the member who posted them in a comment gets deleted from my site? Or have they lost their connection to anything?
Any clarification as to what actually happened to these attached files is appreciated, thanks!

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 05/02/19 02:56:23PM
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
This likely did not affect you - what was happening is that if you had the recycle bin disabled, comment attachment files were being renamed as if the recycle bin was enabled, thus could be "orphaned" since the comment was actually directly deleted. Again - this would have only affected you if you were not using the Recycle Bin.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
3,602 posts
Good to know!
I guess most folks who added the RB module would want to USE it rather than have it disabled, so yeah it likely didn't effect many people at all.
Thanks! :)

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015