solved Can jamroom work without mailgun?

Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
5 years ago
823 posts
mailgun just sent me a bill for 62 dollars but i thought we get 10k emails free each month and the total sent out for this month shows 20k? Is this normal?
updated by @zachary-moonshine: 01/02/20 05:43:09PM
nate
@nate
5 years ago
911 posts
With notifications and a popular site, I would imagine 20K is very possible. If you add in a newsletter or 2, then it's even likely.

Let me check with the guys about other methods. I haven't personally responded to this question before.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
5 years ago
823 posts
Yeah well i did send newsletters and i know the amount of emails sent is correct but the problem is that it does not mathematically make sense with the scale they have set for the "legacy" option i am on. I have previously sent almost the same amount of email in one month before and only got charged a few dollars.
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
Zachary Moonshine:
mailgun just sent me a bill for 62 dollars but i thought we get 10k emails free each month and the total sent out for this month shows 20k? Is this normal?

That's not right - you need to contact Mailgun. It's only $5 for every 10,000 emails over the first 10,000 free - so in this case it would be $5 for you.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
5 years ago
823 posts
Thanks Brian and yes you are correct i look back at the history in my mailgun account and i can see see some months i was actually below the 10k limit and they charged me a few dollars which also makes no sense. And some months they didnt charge anything. it has always been so low of a bill i never really bothered to look into it and check out the details but it is clear something is not right. I wish they would respond to my emails now, i wasnt expecting an extra bill that size this week and this could cause me some serious issues
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
Zachary Moonshine:
Thanks Brian and yes you are correct i look back at the history in my mailgun account and i can see see some months i was actually below the 10k limit and they charged me a few dollars which also makes no sense. And some months they didnt charge anything. it has always been so low of a bill i never really bothered to look into it and check out the details but it is clear something is not right. I wish they would respond to my emails now, i wasnt expecting an extra bill that size this week and this could cause me some serious issues

What they will do is if your bill is under like $1.00 they will "roll it over" until you have like a $2.50 bill then they will charge it -otherwise they don't really make anything after the CC charges. Your best bet is to contact them about it - there's not much we can do on this end to help out with the billing questions.

--
Brian Johnson

updated by @brian: 10/01/19 03:15:00PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
3,602 posts
Zachary, open a support ticket on mailgun- I have found they are pretty prompt about responding to support tickets- usually within a few hours. They seem fairly helpful when i have had mail problems,

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
5 years ago
823 posts
Not very prompt at all actually they just now responded to me and they are trying to say the bill is that high because of the validations?
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
Zachary Moonshine:
Not very prompt at all actually they just now responded to me and they are trying to say the bill is that high because of the validations?

Why do you have validations enabled? Those are the expensive part and are turned OFF by default. You need to go in to ACP -> Communication -> Mailgun API and UNCHECK "Address Check Enabled". We have this area highlighted on purpose because it will cost you money.
20191002-070653.jpg
20191002-070653.jpg  •  233KB

--
Brian Johnson
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
5 years ago
823 posts
Yes i see that now, but it only shows that part about money if you click the question mark. At first sight it just looks like something needed to make sure signups are valid. If i ever clicked that, it must have been a long time ago when i was first setting jamroom up but if that is the case why didnt i ever see a large charge for validations?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG  •  30KB

updated by @zachary-moonshine: 10/02/19 03:15:28PM