solved Text editor posting box won't show on my updated site.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
I have two jamroom sites.
This one: https://pennywhistleclub.com/ has been updated to the latest JR core and all modules updated two days ago. On this site since the updates, I cannot seem to get text input boxes to show up (yes I'm logged in) anywhere: for profile comments, comments on items like photos, group discussions, and forums. --> see attached picture of what i see. Thus, unable to comment or post. Not sure whether the updates actually caused it, but happened around the same time.

To compare, my other larger site https://fotmd.com/ has NOT been updated to the latest JR version yet, and the comment boxes are all loading normally.

This is happening on windows10 in both chrome and firefox, so I know it's not due to chrome. Have restarted computers and browsers, done integrity check and cleared cache. System Check is all greenlight.
Again, this problem is NOT happening on my main FOTMD site... only occurring on my pennywhistle site, which was recently updated.

Thanks for any ideas.
text box missing.png
text box missing.png  •  939KB

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 09/15/20 12:46:13AM
nate
@nate
4 years ago
911 posts
Are you seeing JavaScript errors in your browser console?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
You mean like this Nate? (not sure what it means...):
errors console.jpg
errors console.jpg  •  1.9MB

--
nate
@nate
4 years ago
911 posts
Yeah, those are tinymice errors. That's why it's not loading. Now we just have to figure out why it's happening. Let me tell the other guys. Maybe they have an idea.
nate
@nate
4 years ago
911 posts
Have you customized the form_editor.tpl?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes Nate, here's what I have in my custom skin, ...in the site where the text editor is NOT showing properly:
{jrCore_module_url module="jrCore" assign="murl"}
tinymce.init({
    body_id: "{$form_editor_id}",
    content_css: "{$jamroom_url}/skins/{$_conf.jrCore_active_skin}/css/tinymce.css",
    toolbar_items_size : "small",
    element_format: "html",
    fontsize_formats: "8pt 10pt 12pt 14pt 18pt 24pt 28pt 36pt",
    autoresize_bottom_margin: "3",
    keep_styles: false,
    theme: "{$theme}",
    selector: "textarea#{$form_editor_id}",
    relative_urls: false,
    remove_script_host: false,
    convert_fonts_to_spans: true,
    menubar: false,
    browser_spellcheck : true,
    statusbar: false,
    paste_as_text: true,
    entity_encoding: "raw",
    height: "100%",
    image_advtab: true,
    plugins: "pagebreak,{if $jrsmiley}jrsmiley,{/if}{if $jrembed}jrembed,media{/if},autoresize,{if $table}table,{/if}link,code,textcolor,colorpicker,preview",
    toolbar1: "removeformat | fontselect fontsizeselect forecolor {if $strong} bold{/if}{if $em} italic{/if}{if $span} underline{/if} | {if $span || $div} alignleft{/if}{if $span || $div} aligncenter{/if}{if $span || $div} alignright{/if}{if $span || $div} alignjustify |{/if}{if $ul && $li} bullist numlist |{/if}{if $div} outdent indent |{/if} undo redo | link{if $table} table{/if} | {if $hr} hr{/if}{if $sub && $sup} | sub sup {/if} | code preview | {if $jrembed}jrembed{/if}{if $jrsmiley} jrsmiley{/if}",
 contextmenu: "link image | cut copy paste"
});

--

updated by @strumelia: 06/02/20 08:32:17AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
If it helps, here is my custom skin template in my site where it's all working CORRECTLY... not sure if there's any difference?:
{jrCore_module_url module="jrCore" assign="murl"}
tinymce.init({
    body_id: "{$form_editor_id}",
    content_css: "{$jamroom_url}/skins/{$_conf.jrCore_active_skin}/css/tinymce.css",
    toolbar_items_size : "small",
    element_format: "html",
    fontsize_formats: "8pt 10pt 12pt 14pt 18pt 24pt 28pt 36pt",
    autoresize_bottom_margin: "3",
    keep_styles: false,
    theme: "{$theme}",
    selector: "textarea#{$form_editor_id}",
    relative_urls: false,
    remove_script_host: false,
    convert_fonts_to_spans: true,
    menubar: false,
    browser_spellcheck : true,
    statusbar: false,
    paste_as_text: true,
    entity_encoding: "raw",
    height: "100%",
    image_advtab: true,
    plugins: "pagebreak,{if $jrsmiley}jrsmiley,{/if}{if $jrembed}jrembed,media{/if},autoresize,{if $table}table,{/if}link,code,textcolor,colorpicker,preview",
    toolbar1: "removeformat | fontselect fontsizeselect forecolor {if $strong} bold{/if}{if $em} italic{/if}{if $span} underline{/if} | {if $span || $div} alignleft{/if}{if $span || $div} aligncenter{/if}{if $span || $div} alignright{/if}{if $span || $div} alignjustify |{/if}{if $ul && $li} bullist numlist |{/if}{if $div} outdent indent |{/if} undo redo | link{if $table} table{/if} | {if $hr} hr{/if}{if $sub && $sup} | sub sup {/if} | code preview | {if $jrembed}jrembed{/if}{if $jrsmiley} jrsmiley{/if}",
 contextmenu: "link image | cut copy paste"
});

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
If the two above templates are identical (and the one is working while the other is not), then the problem is not actually in my custom form_editor template code, right?

Do you maybe want a screenshot of the console similar to above, but from the site that is working correctly?, to compare errors?

--

updated by @strumelia: 06/02/20 08:49:51AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Oh and i want to repeat that the penneywhistle site where it's NOT working right is my site that I updated all jamroom core and modules on. The fotmd site has not yet been updated and the text editors are working fine. Not sure if that's relevant or not, but worth mentioning.

--
brian
@brian
4 years ago
10,139 posts
Strumelia:
If the two above templates are identical (and the one is working while the other is not), then the problem is not actually in my custom form_editor template code, right?

Do you maybe want a screenshot of the console similar to above, but from the site that is working correctly?, to compare errors?

I can see there are quite a lot of differences between your custom template and the default - I can see for sure yours is not going to work on mobile correctly. So use the "compare" button to see all the differences.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
brian
@brian
4 years ago
10,139 posts
Strumelia:
Oh and i want to repeat that the penneywhistle site where it's NOT working right is my site that I updated all jamroom core and modules on. The fotmd site has not yet been updated and the text editors are working fine. Not sure if that's relevant or not, but worth mentioning.

That makes sense - you need to "reset" your custom template on your penneywhistle site so the new form_editor.tpl takes over or it's not likely to work.

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes I know there are many differences between my template and the ninja one. but...can you see any differences between the two custom templates on my two sites that i screenshot above?- could a difference between my two custom templates be the reason, or do you think the updates are the reason my custom template is no longer working? (since it used to work)
I hesitate to go back to the default template after all the customizing work I've done in tinymce. But yeah i do need the site to work. ;)

--
brian
@brian
4 years ago
10,139 posts
The 2 sites are not the same - you're running the NEW Jamroom Core 6.5.0+ on penneywhistle, but you are still on 6.4.0 on fotmd.com right? The version of TinyMCE on Core 6.5.0+ is newer than the version on 6.4.0 and thus needs a new editor template (or updates applied to your custom template).

You can't compare the 2 since they are from totally different versions. Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
A few things I need clarity on ...sorry it's so much, but I'll number them so you can reply more easily:

1)- Luckily, the pennywhistle site I created almost as a testing site- it's not much active. So, does this sound like a logical plan for me to do?: I can make a copy of the current template with all my customizations (which now doesn't function), and then revert the site to the default new 6.5.0 form_editor template. After that, if the new default template works, I can experiment with adding back a few of my favorite customizations one by one, but removing any that break it.

2)- Do I switch to the default 6.5.0 form_editor template in my custom skin simply by clicking the "reset" button on the right in my custom skin templates area? --> Right now i see that all the "reset" buttons are grayed out. Will that be a problem that the button is grayed out?

3)- (btw after I updated that site i went into Database Admin and made my custom skin so that it was 'cloned from' Ninja, rather than cloned from my last custom skin. I always have to do this in order to be able to use the "compare" tool to compare my custom skins to the versions of Ninja skins. It's done on my 6.4.0 fotmd site as well, and no problem there.)

4)- I'm vaguely remembering making some sort of tinymce widget changes, like adding a spell check and other features... that I may have uploaded to my server's copy of tinymce a couple years ago... hoping that's not going to be an issue as well, since it's hard to recall exactly what i did now, except that it was all working well since then, until now. =8-p

--

updated by @strumelia: 06/02/20 12:43:42PM
douglas
@douglas
4 years ago
2,767 posts
I've got this working for you.

You had an override template in your skins directory for the form_editor.tpl, I added the latest code from the latest core relase and the text editor is now showing.

https://pennywhistleclub.com/core/skin_admin/templates/skin=xxPWskin_May29_2020

https://pennywhistleclub.com/keith/gallery/21/flowerheadlily

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Douglas, a belated THANK YOU to you. :)
By looking at the changes you made to the template, I was able to make all the same changes and updates to that form_editor custom template I had on my main FOTMD site as well- to get it working just great after I updated my 'main' site to the latest Jamroom version, and my skin updated. I also applied my favorite personal edits to the tinyMCE toolbar into the new working custom template, at the end.
All works great now. Thanks Nate, Brian, and Douglas!

--