solved phone version of tinymce text editor is limited?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
I feel dumb that i only just noticed this, but I'm usually attending to my sites while on my laptop, not my phone-
Is it normal for the tinymce text editor window to not show any of the icons/buttons along the top when creating a post? I mean there are no icons for adjusting font size, color, bold, smileys, code view, or embedding images, etc.
On my iphone and on my members' android phones, we only get a plain text input box (with no icons/buttons along the top), and two boxes on the bottom- for publish post and for attaching a file.
Is this normal or am I missing something? Thanks

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 03/22/21 01:43:48AM
brian
@brian
4 years ago
10,136 posts
This is correct - you will see a "gray" box with a book icon in it - clicking that launches a full screen mobile editor that features a sub-set of the "full" editor you get on desktop/tablet (see my screenshots). This is how TinyMCE works and is not something we can change. To be honest it is a better experience this way - trying to use the "desktop" version on mobile just does not work on many devices due to the way the popup menus and modal windows work

Let me know if that helps.
editor-pre-click.jpg
editor-pre-click.jpg  •  436KB

editor-clicked.jpg
editor-clicked.jpg  •  374KB

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
None of us are seeing that grey box and book, Brian. See attached jpg that shows an example of what we are seeing on both iphones and androids. That jpg is from a member (not me, but I see pretty much the same on my iphone). We get no view of a book icon or grey box before we go to type anything, either.
My custom skin is a 'child' of Ninja, if that helps. Also, I have customized a few minor items in my text editor from time to time, btw.
phone.jpg
phone.jpg  •  231KB

--
brian
@brian
4 years ago
10,136 posts
Yeah that's just a plain text area - you will see that for comments when on mobile. If you go in to create a blog let's say - do you see it there? I don't believe the editor is enabled for phones in the comments template.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes when I'm on my iphone and i go to create a Blog, i see the grey box/book options.
However, I don't allow my members to create or use blogs.
I can understand why a simple input would be fine on mobile for comments on videos, audio clips, and photos. But members wanted to be able to embed images, indent, Undo, use smilies, etc... into Forum posts and also Group discussion posts.

Are you saying that all Forum posts and Group discussion posts are actually just 'comments' and as such will not give any of those editing options on phones as they all do on laptops and desktops?
If so, I'm assuming this would not be a simple thing to change and enable... correct?

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
So is it not anything easily do-able to enable my members to embed images or apply font colors or my site smilies etc into their forum posts then? All Forum and Group discussion posts will always get only the plain vanilla minimal text input on phones?

--
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
In the jrForum item_detail.tpl page there is a specific check to not show the editor, see the screenshot.

The code flow goes:
* if the editor is turned on and this is not a mobile device, then show the editor
* OTHERWISE show the textarea.

On your site this might be at:
* ACP -> MODULES -> PROFILE -> FORUM -> TEMPLATES -> item_detail.tpl -> MODIFY
OR
* ACP -> SKINS -> (your skin) -> TEMPLATES -> jrForum_item_detail.tpl -> MODIFY

Remove the :
 && !jrCore_is_mobile_device()
and the editor will show as in brians screenshot. It is limited in functionality but will allow links and images to be added. Just does not have the full embed system like the desktop has.

--edit--
Before making the change do a test, type "AWHERE WSEORJERE ERA WHERE AM I ????" or some other text then check you can see that text where you're expecting to see it. In the screenshot you'll see the word "THIS??". Thats what im doing there, just checking im in the right place.
editor.jpg
editor.jpg  •  1.6MB

testing.jpg
testing.jpg  •  491KB

updated by @michael: 11/24/20 08:14:24PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Oh wow, let me look into this!

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Michael, I've run into a little puzzle on trying this out...
In my main ACP>modules etc location I have the item_detail temple that is a couple hundred lines long and I see the parts you are referring to that I would change.

However, I do have a custom skin template override... so when I go to ACP>skins>myskin> tec to the jrforum_item_detail tpl, it contains ONLY the following 2 lines of code, and nothing else:
{jrProfile_disable_sidebar}
{jrCore_include module="jrForum" template="item_detail.tpl" disable_override=true}

I kept a copy of my 2017 custom skin and it has the same code in that template, so there must have been some compelling reason I replaced the default template with this custom code. I'm afraid to replace my custom tpl with the default one that I would be able to apply your suggested fix test to.

Are you able to tell by looking at this custom template override what its purpose was or whether it would effect or mess up my site by dumping that custom template?
I know you're not a mind reader but perhaps you can enlighten me from some clue in my custom code... ? I'm not going to mess with this as it is now, I'm too wary of messing up my whole site maybe. Maybe if I had more of a clue how to keep that custom code in place while adding the text editor tweak I might test it out.

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/19/20 11:23:10AM
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
That piece of code reads
* disable the side bar
then
* include the default item detail template

So your over-ride is overriding the default then including the default again after its turned off the side bar.

Fist thing to try is in the ACP -> MODULES -> (i forget the category, sorry) -> FORUM -> TEMPLATES -> item_detail.tpl -> MODIFY

Try adding HERE I AM!!! WHERE DOES THIS COME OUT?????, then SAVE
and see if that text appears on the forums location.

It might not because disable_override=true is set, but if it does then thats where to change. If it takes too long send the login details to support at jamroom ATTN; michael and along with a link to this thread and I'll get it fixed up.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Michael, I did put the HERE I AM text in the test location as you suggested. (in my main module item_detail template, not the custom skin one)
The HERE I AM showed up in the correct place (same as your screen shot) in my desktop version, but did NOT show at all on my phone (after reset cache & reloading page). Not sure if that was to be expected.
Then i removed that test text, and in the same location deleted the "&&...." section you mentioned, on line 151 of my template, reset cache again. The result is that everything looks the same as it did before i did anything: full editor showing on desktop version, and the abbreviated editor showing on my phone (with only the PostResponse/AttachFile/BBCCodeHelp buttons showing.

Any further thoughts on what to try to get the full (or closer to full) text editor to show on mobile?
(Right now I've left my Profiles>Forum>item_detail tpl with that snippet deleted from line 151. The forums seem to be functioning ok. I can always put it back as before. I've been testing this on my less important test site pennywhistleclub btw)
Here's how that paragraph of code looks now:
<div class="forum_new_post_form">
                                    <div id="forum_notice" style="display:none;"><!-- any forum errors load here --></div>
                                    <form id="cform" action="{$jamroom_url}/{$murl}/post_create_save" method="POST" onsubmit="jrForumPostResponse('#cform');return false">
                                        <input type="hidden" id="forum_group_id" name="forum_group_id" value="{$topic._item_id}">
                                        <input type="hidden" id="forum_profile_id" name="forum_profile_id" value="{$topic.forum_profile_id}">
                                        {if isset($_conf.jrForum_editor) && $_conf.jrForum_editor == 'on'} 
                                            {jrCore_editor_field name="forum_text"}
                                        {else}
                                            <textarea id="forum_new_post_textarea" name="forum_text" cols="40" rows="6" class="form_textarea" style="width:98%;"></textarea><br>
                                        {/if}
                                        <div style="vertical-align:middle;">
                                            {jrCore_lang module="jrCore" id="73" default="working..." assign="working"}
                                            {jrCore_image image="submit.gif" id="form_submit_indicator" width="24" height="24" alt=$working style="margin:8px 8px 0px 8px;"}<input id="forum_submit" type="submit" value="Post Response" class="form_button" style="margin-top:6px;">
                                            {if jrCore_module_is_active('jrAction') && $_conf.jrForum_timeline == "on"}
                                                <input type="checkbox" id="jraction_add_to_timeline" name="jraction_add_to_timeline" checked="checked"> <span class="normal capital">{jrCore_lang module="jrAction" id=13 default="add to timeline"}</span><br>
                                            {/if}

--
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
Looks like the details I have to login to your site as an admin user still work, is it OK for me to make the changes?

--edit--
On a side note, you have a lot of videos of playing the dulcimer, have you seen this software: soundslice.com

I've been using it to learn guitar and love the format of the keeping the score in time with the video so I can watch the finger movements. It can be integrated into websites and yours looks like a perfect fit if teaching songs is part of your sites goal.

--edit edit--
Attached a screenshot of the forums item_detail still showing the mobile block
mobile.jpg
mobile.jpg  •  2.9MB

updated by @michael: 12/20/20 06:22:15PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
That's because I didn't change anything yet on my main site which is the one your screenshot is from. ;)
I removed the mobile block in the forums item_detail tpl on my less important live test site: https://pennywhistleclub.com/
That's where my screenshots of code above are from.

My admin login is the same on both sites. I try to do all testing on my pennywhistle site because it's a semi-testing site even though it has some live members.

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/20/20 07:45:19PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
here's the template on my pennywhistle site, but it did not seem to have any effect on my iphone view.
1.jpg
1.jpg  •  1.1MB

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/20/20 07:57:19PM
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
It could be that something else is needed, im concerned that the:
...... disable_override=true}
is blocking it from working.
active.jpg
active.jpg  •  1.4MB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes, like I did before above, adding the text shows up on my DESKTOP (but not on my phone view).
See screenshot here...

P.S. I 'think' the disable override true was added years ago so that my profile named "Forums" who 'owns' my site forums will not have their member info show, like on the page https://pennywhistleclub.com/forums/forum ...? I may be wrong, but i think that's why it was put there to hide the fact that the site forums are really just forums on a dummy member's profile.
Sorry, i have to go to bed now it's late here. :)
2.png
2.png  •  155KB

3.png
3.png  •  201KB

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/20/20 08:31:55PM
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
That doesn't make sense.

--
I'm logged in as 'Chifmunk' on pennywhistle and do see the editor in the iPhone 8 simulator. Screenshot
chifmunk.jpg
chifmunk.jpg  •  160KB

opened.jpg
opened.jpg  •  88KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes it *IS* working as I hoped, Michael!
My silly mistake was that i changed the code on my pennywhistle site, but then checked to see if it was working... on my fotmd site. D'ohhhh!!
Yes this works great, and does not seem to mess up stuff at all.
Thank you!- I know my members will appreciate being able to embed images, edit links, and tweak the text a little when on their phones. (hopefully they won't be confused by the 'attach file' button being in the initial grey box area.)
Much appreciated, i know you are busy. :D
I'll go fix this on my fotmd site and remove the "Here i am".
Solved!

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
3,602 posts
P.S. Michael- about Soundslice...
I checked into it and it seems super cool!
Unfortunately it does not yet support mountain dulcimer tunings and tab. Mtn dulcimer players are very set in their ways concerning following the accepted form of dulcimer tab that's pretty heavily depended on by most beginners. I'd say about 60% of my members are beginner players, so there would be some major frustrations if i integrated this on my site before it offered a dulcimer option like it currently has with violin, guitar, piano, voice, clarinet, etc.

Here is the one dulcimer player who took the time to make some helpful comments about this issue:
https://www.soundslice.com/slices/hT9Vc/?from=channel
It shows me that it's probably best to wait until soundslice has set up a mountain dulcimer tab option.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on this, it looks like something people love!

--
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
Glad its fixed. Well done.

I'm trying to learn bluegrass guitar and one teaching site uses that system ( musicWithRyan.com ) . It makes it so much easier to be able to loop just one bar and watch where the fingers go.
Hopefully they get a dulcimer version out if its of use to you.

updated by @michael: 12/21/20 08:19:42PM