Uh - Oh

lisa
@lisa
9 years ago
126 posts
So, I merged my trees into one. All is well except none of the sources merged and I lost them all.

I uploaded a new gedcom of new people into it, and all of a sudden all the profile pictures are now attached to different people, and in some cases it changed their name. Is there a way to undo the gedcom upload? I don't want to lose anymore information. ~ Lisa
updated by @lisa: 04/25/15 04:51:23PM
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
lisa:
So, I merged my trees into one. All is well except none of the sources merged and I lost them all.

That doesn't make sense - there's no delete function in moving profiles from one tree to another, so they should not be lost. Worst case is that they would still be under the "old" tree - do you see the sources in the old tree?

Quote:
I uploaded a new gedcom of new people into it, and all of a sudden all the profile pictures are now attached to different people, and in some cases it changed their name. Is there a way to undo the gedcom upload? I don't want to lose anymore information. ~ Lisa

Hmm.. that doesn't make sense either - when you uploaded the GEDCOM were you on a new tree? an existing tree? Did you leave the "Sync Profiles" checked?

Unfortunately if things are messed up you will want to restore from a backup.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

updated by @brian: 03/26/15 01:47:16PM
lisa
@lisa
9 years ago
126 posts
Yes, I clicked "sync profiles" but all of the people in the gedcom were new. George now has a picture of a woman as his profile, with both of their information in the timeline. I am not even sure who is who.

I am not sure what happened to the sources, but when I click on sources it says there is nothing there. I wasn't terribly far into uploading census records, etc so it isn't a biggie, but the messed up profiles will take some time. Thanks! ~ Lisa
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
lisa:
Yes, I clicked "sync profiles" but all of the people in the gedcom were new. George now has a picture of a woman as his profile, with both of their information in the timeline. I am not even sure who is who.

I am not sure what happened to the sources, but when I click on sources it says there is nothing there. I wasn't terribly far into uploading census records, etc so it isn't a biggie, but the messed up profiles will take some time. Thanks! ~ Lisa

I'm looking through the code here trying to figure this out, but I'm not sure - let me ask a couple more questions:

1) Was the tree you were importing to a "new" tree or did it have existing profiles in it already?

2) after you moved the profiles from the one tree to the other, did you delete the old tree? If so I think I found a path in the code where the sources could be removed - I'm checking on that.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
lisa
@lisa
9 years ago
126 posts
Hi, Brian! Whew! I think I have it cleared up. Yes, the tree was the default tree and nobody was in it so technically it was new, and yes, I deleted the old tree once the people were loaded in. It ended up not being as bad as it originally looked. Thanks! Lisa
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
lisa:
Hi, Brian! Whew! I think I have it cleared up. Yes, the tree was the default tree and nobody was in it so technically it was new, and yes, I deleted the old tree once the people were loaded in. It ended up not being as bad as it originally looked. Thanks! Lisa

I'm glad to hear that - I'm going to testing this in depth in the morning and see if I can replicate what you saw and get it fixed up.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson

Tags