solved Newsletter and validation emails down since recent update

Cloud Media
Cloud Media
@cloud-media
7 years ago
53 posts
Recently updated and have not been able to send newsletters, test emails and validation is no longer going out. It appears that the mailing system is no longer working. Server and database have been updated.

Any ideas on what happened. Worked great previously.
updated by @cloud-media: 01/30/18 03:44:11AM
douglas
@douglas
7 years ago
2,767 posts
I'm not seeing an issue on my dev site.

Are you seeing any errors in your logs?

Since you are not using our hosting there isn't going to be much we can do... you'll most likely have to contact your hosting provider for assistance.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
most likely the cause is from sending out too many newsletters and having the ip blacklisted as a spam ip
google ip blacklist test
search your ip addrress if oits blacklisted you can request it be removed ..from most of them some lists just require a certain amount of time to go by without spam

be very careful about sending out newsletters. if they become annoying to your members who arent active they might spam them which can i think get reporertyed to the various lists that then might blacklist ya
i only send out newsletters when its something major.. actually i average 1 every 3 years and even then you get a negative responce from some perople who look at all mass mailings as spam.
don't rely on them as a trafic generatyor, that pretty much is the definition of spam.

the important emails that need to send are about replies to posts comments on items and email verifications

so in conclusion after getting your ip back in good standing, do not rely on newsletters to generate trafic.

if you truely believe that newsletters are essential to your community, (every sites diferent yours might need them) then i would use a seperate opt in newsletter service. instead of sending mass mails to all members, you could do it 1 of 2 ways.
using jamrooms built in capabilities create a quota call it newwsletter subsribers
in the signup and edit profiles use the form designer to add a newsletter_subsribe checkbox
and have it assign people who check it to the new quota
then when you send emails only send to the quota that actually wants it and intentionaly signed up for it

alternately you can use something like constant contact or any other service have a subscribe to newsletter option on the site (maybe for members and visitors alike) then use that to manage newsletters
that might be the best option as they tend to use your email service instead of the sites built in mail handling (which affects your ip reputation)
you want to avoid any impact on your ips ability to send crucial emails that are essential to normal site operations

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Good advice on that particular issue, Soaring.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
i was on 1 large site (back on ning) the site creator would send a few a day to the entire membership.
some as silly as "i'm having coffee and watching tv what are you all up to'
the final straw was when nasa hurled a chunk of metal into a crator to anylize the dust it kicked up for traces of water, he sends out mass mail after mass mail with crazy stuff like "nasa is bombiong the moon i hereby declare war on the united states government" and stuff like that

i tried many times to explain to him how improper it was but he seemed pretty impulsive (kinda like the orange guy in the white house) and just couldnt control himself
after that incident it pretty much killed all activity on his site and it was shut down a few months later

--
soaringeagle
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
7 years ago
2,583 posts
soaringeagle:i tried many times to explain to him how improper it was but he seemed pretty impulsive (kinda like the orange guy in the white house) and just couldnt control himself
after that incident it pretty much killed all activity on his site and it was shut down a few months later
Why oh why didn't it work out like that after orange guy's inauguration :(

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
delayed return to sanity
but i really hope he is the 1 getting arrested tomorow

maybe if he stops golfing every single weekend i can get some flying in and finaly get my pilots rating..
so tomorow the news is 'must see tv" ..i doubt its trump, but i sure do hope so

--
soaringeagle
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
soaringeagle:
so tomorow the news is 'must see tv" ..i doubt its trump, but i sure do hope so
Send us a newsletter letting us know.
lolol...

--
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,139 posts
Root cause here was a server issue - they fixed it and let us know they are good now :)

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
But... it didn't solve the orange issue! :(

--

Tags