solved [Bug?] Profile excludes

gary.moncrieff
gary.moncrieff
@garymoncrieff
9 years ago
865 posts
Hey guys

I was trying out the new profile exclude module to try and hide my community profile from the listings however it still displays in the profiles page.

At first I thought this might be because Mediapro has a custom all profiles page so I loaded up site/profile and the community profile was still listed here too.
updated by @garymoncrieff: 05/07/15 02:52:33PM
michael
@michael
9 years ago
7,692 posts
Try looking at the page when you are a non-admin user. I keep a couple of firefox profiles around to simulate the different states.

Its pretty normal for the admin user to see extra stuff that normal users cant see. I think that's whats going on in your case. If I'm wrong please let me know.

To start up another instance of firefox I use:
firefox --no-remote -ProfileManager
gary.moncrieff
gary.moncrieff
@garymoncrieff
9 years ago
865 posts
Your right it doesn't show to non admins on the profiles page, however it does still show if you search for community.
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
gary.moncrieff:
Your right it doesn't show to non admins on the profiles page, however it does still show if you search for community.

This is the correct behavior at this time. The idea with the module is to keep a specific profile's items (songs, videos, etc.) out of LISTS. If someone specifically searches for the profile however it will show.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
3,602 posts
If I 'exclude' my profile of "Forums" that is a profile I own and that is used only for housing all my site's discussion forums...will that effect the ability for all my members to keep seeing and using the forums owned by that profile? Will it effect my site's forum function in any way?... Is this simply to remove the profile and avatar of the "Forums" member from appearing, say when you go to mysite/profile page for example?

Thanks for any clarifications in layman's terms. I'm still not quite sure exactly what "Lists" are for instance. :-*

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
The profile will still be usable just like normal. This module will exclude the the profile's items from showing up in jrCore_list calls for skin templates. So let's say on the front page of your site there is a list for "top profiles". The profile would not show there. It would also not show in the profile index list at yoursite.com/profile. Basically lists are "lists" that are on skin templates (i.e. NOT profile pages).

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
3,602 posts
Ok, so I guess I'll try it and see what happens. Nothing should blow up, right? lol Thanks!

Ok so it works nicely! :)
Now when signed in as a regular member, I go to the site /profile page and "Forums" member is not showing. It does show if I am signed in as admin, as it's supposed to. It also still shows up (as expected) if one does a search for the name "Forums".
Thanks, this is cool! It was a bit annoying to see the "Forums" profile showing up in the member list, like they were another regular human member.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 04/07/15 11:39:41AM
brian
@brian
9 years ago
10,136 posts
Strumelia:
Ok, so I guess I'll try it and see what happens. Nothing should blow up, right? lol Thanks!

Ok so it works nicely! :)
Now when signed in as a regular member, I go to the site /profile page and "Forums" member is not showing. It does show if I am signed in as admin, as it's supposed to. It also still shows up (as expected) if one does a search for the name "Forums".
Thanks, this is cool! It was a bit annoying to see the "Forums" profile showing up in the member list, like they were another regular human member.

Right on - that's what it was made for, so glad to see it's working for you.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
gary.moncrieff
gary.moncrieff
@garymoncrieff
9 years ago
865 posts
ok understood, cool module.

Tags