solved Adding a Forum to a new profile

Keith Mauck
Keith Mauck
@keith-mauck
8 years ago
67 posts
I'm adding new profiles. How do I add a forum module to these new profiles? Thanks.
updated by @keith-mauck: 12/14/16 11:32:56AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
8 years ago
2,583 posts
In the Forum module Quota settings, select the quota that those profiles are on, check the Allowed on Profile checkbox, then save.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
Keith Mauck
Keith Mauck
@keith-mauck
8 years ago
67 posts
thanks!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
3,602 posts
Keith, just checking on something because it confused me when I was starting on JR, so I wanted to mention it just in case it was helpful:

When you check that "Allowed on profile" box in the Forum module, the help description for it is: "If checked, users in this quota will have a Profile Forum they can post topics to." This means that all the members in that particular Quota will then EACH have their own personal Forum on their profile page that they can oversee.
If you prefer that instead there be one main site-wide forum (or more than one if you want) that is managed by you and that members can all participate in equally, and NOT allow a member to have their own personal forum on their profile page, then you'll want to leave that "Allow on Profile" box UNchecked.

For a main site-wide forum setup instead, there are two methods. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me describe one method, but I can tell you the other method, which i use on my site, was to create a new quota (I called mine "Forum Quota") and then create a new profile (which i named "Forums", with an 's') and made it the only member of that quota. In the Forum Module under "quota config", I then CHECKED the "allow on profile" for that quota only...with its one lone member whose profile name is Forums.
I then went to the member "Forums" 's profile page and began to set up their profile Forum, with discussion categories etc. (if I go to the 'categories' tab, as admin I'll see a place to delete or create new categories).
On my site, the member Forums's Forum location is thus: http://fotmd.com/forums/forum/ ....with "forums" being the profile name, and "forum", being their forum which was to be used as a whole site forum.
There are a couple of steps in the end you can then take to 'hide' the personal sidebar info and profile pic etc of the member profile so it's not apparent that the site-wide forum actually 'belongs' to a member. Truthfully, it was a while back when I did this so if you choose this route you could get the JR team to walk you through hiding the "Forums" profile info while just leaving their Forum highly visible.

I also use the link I typed above as the link in my site's header bar for members to click to the site Forums. You'll notice the hotlink along the top nav bar of my site merely says Forums.
Sorry if none of this was actually what you had in mind, but I figured i'd throw it out there just in case that's what you actually wanted for your site rather than individual member profile page forums for lots of members.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
Keith Mauck
Keith Mauck
@keith-mauck
8 years ago
67 posts
Very helpful Strumelia...you basically read my mind for my next question! One thing that isn't readily apparent to me is how do you create a new Quota? And the, how do you change a user to a different quota?
Keith Mauck
Keith Mauck
@keith-mauck
8 years ago
67 posts
Strumelia, I think I figured it out...under "Users" and then "Quota Compare"
updated by @keith-mauck: 08/03/16 09:57:37AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes, to create a new quota --> ACP--> Users--> quota browser
(and to save time you can 'clone' a currently existing quota that has most of the settings you want for your new quota, like "admin"...and then give it a new name and make adjustments as to how you want it to be different from your Admin quota.)

To change a user's quota (like to promote or demote them from being a moderator,etc) go to their profile page and then to their 'settings' (the gear icon) and look at their Profile TAB to change their quota.
If you create a new profile, you can select their quota in the same location of their settings.

If you want new members to automatically be assigned to a particular quota (like a regular member), or to have a choice of more than one quota they'd like to be in when they first sign up to your site, you'd set this here in the User module, under the Quota Config TAB there:
http://(yoursite).com/user/admin/quota
There, you can check or uncheck under each quota the box to "allow signups". For example, you likely would not want some random stranger signing up on your site as an Admin without your permission, so you'd want to UNcheck that box for the Admin Quota. You can put any member into the Admin quota manually yourself whenever you want.
On my site, the ONLY quota I have checked to "allow signups" is the (regular) member quota... my typical member who does not have any special moderator, 'sponsor/donor', or admin powers. So, all my new members are automatically put into the general Member quota when they join my site- they're not presented with any other choices.

Glad it was of help! :)

--
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Hello all,
Today was an exciting day for us, Jamroom Learning curve-wise.

We read and re-read sections from https://www.jamroom.net/ning-to-jamroom/documentation/contents

and came up with a metaphor that works for us so far...

Members (Users) = real live humans

Profiles (more than one possible per Member/User) = access to 'stuff'

Quotas [***HUGE point realized today is that only ONE quota can be assigned to each PROFILE (not to each Member/User, but to each PROFILE).]

Quotas => 'Resources'/stuff/stash of goodies => collections that are highly modifiable and any ONE profile can be assigned to any quota (and we can create as many quotas as we wish).

Modules => appear as 'tabs' on individual profiles (if you add a module to a quota, you will have a tab on any profile page added to that quota to represent what you've added to that quota)

Then... the final 'click!' (aha! moment) came when we discovered the http://_______.jamroomhosting.com/profile/quota_compare page!
Hurrah!

Quote: Kieth-Mauck: I'm adding new profiles. How do I add a forum module to these new profiles? Thanks.

The way I would word this answer =

First visit the http://_______.jamroomhosting.com/profile/quota_compare page for your site, then choose the quota you want them to belong to.

If you don't see a quota that provides 'green dots' for all the modules you want that profile to have access to, then you must edit and/or create such a quota.

THEN you can modify that profile to add it to or move it to the quota of your choice.

*Be sure to save your changes!

Voila!

Note: I'm finding it SO helpful to read explanations in different voices, so will try to share a few of my own pathways (in my own way) to see if it helps anyone else.

It's certainly been time-consuming, but also certainly fun to learn our way around the admin panel!

Onward, ho!
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
3,602 posts
OMG Holly! This is the first time I've seen this compare tool for quotas! D'ohhhh!!!
It's AWESOME and so incredibly useful!!! Thank you so much...
found at: http://(yoursite).com/profile/quota_compare

:)

--

updated by @strumelia: 09/13/16 05:01:52PM
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Your reply made my night!

Hope we can help encourage others to share their questions and answers... it really is helpful.
[and there are some incredibly helpful links lurking in the admin panel].

:)
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,692 posts
Thanks Holly, your explanation I'm sure will be helpful to others, so I've added it to our docs:
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/jamroom-admin-handbook/2985/quota#making-it-all-click-together

Much appreciated.

Tags