Plugin / Module Licensing

AppXprt
AppXprt
@appxprt
7 years ago
40 posts
Alright so I've completed a module and I'm wondering about selling it in the marketplace?

The thing is, this is a clone and modification of a current free module provided to everyone and licensing under the MPL. I'm not extremely familiar with the Mozilla license or the Jamroom module development process, but I feel this might be a popular module and I'm wondering if I need to provide it for free or I can make a little on it?
updated by @appxprt: 06/17/17 05:31:50AM
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,143 posts
This sounds pretty cool - what module have you created?

Our primary concerns when it comes to 3rd party modules are:

1) Support - are you going to be here 2 years from now to help users who may have questions?
2) Security - have you used Jamroom's security functions to ensure your module does not expose a security issue on the site running it.

Since you based your module on the MPL, we usually would like to see it released for free - since you're building on work we provided for free. However, if the changes are substantial and are going to require ongoing maintenance work, then we can check it out and see if it makes sense to have it be relicensed under the JCL.

Feel free to shoot me a copy of the module to support [at] jamroom [dot] net - I'd like to check it out. Note that I''m just about to head out here though, so would not be able to check it out for a day or two.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
AppXprt
AppXprt
@appxprt
7 years ago
40 posts
It's a Friends module based on the Followers module and I think I should just provide it for free to get it out there and maybe you all would willing to help a bit with some things I would like to add to it. There aren't any real changes other than just adapting all the following features into friend features thus far.

Edit: Sent...
updated by @appxprt: 03/18/17 11:05:23AM
AppXprt
AppXprt
@appxprt
7 years ago
40 posts
One thing I need to add but need to track all of this down first is on people's profile page, it shows Followers and Following Stats and a small section of most recent followers, but I would like to also add all of that for this Friends module. I'm assuming I can add this in with my module instead of having to alter the jrProfile module?
AppXprt
AppXprt
@appxprt
7 years ago
40 posts
Oh and it might be good to change the fact that the jrFollowers module requires each person to follow the other, but with the friend module it should add the friend for each person instead of just the one initiating the friendship.

Note:
Upon approving a friend, add that approved person to your friends list...
updated by @appxprt: 03/18/17 12:54:42PM
AppXprt
AppXprt
@appxprt
7 years ago
40 posts
Maybe make it where you cant friend or follow yourself too LoL
Could use help with all of these, and just want to provide it for free because I have more important modules to start working on that require a functioning friends module.
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,143 posts
Have not checked out your module yet, but did you see the Followers to Friends module?

https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/networkmarket/393/followers-to-friends

it turns the Followers module into a "friends" module.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
AppXprt
AppXprt
@appxprt
7 years ago
40 posts
Yea I saw that but it didn't do anything for me when I enabled last time I checked and I would like to have Follower and Friends :-D

Tags