solved downloaded Attached files stripped of "." from the file name

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
This is happening for BOTH Mac and Win users- on Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Chrome. Seems all my members have been experiencing this for weeks while I was simply unaware of it, though it's happening for me now that I tested it. So far one person says their Android phone 'doesn't' do it... though their Win computer does it. This is happening on both my JR sites.
This happens in forum posts, group discussion posts, even in SimpleChat posts.
----------------
When someone ATTACHES an image to a post, the user normally sees two options:
1) click on the picture thumbnail itself, which enlarges the image in a popup window to view right there- which still works JUST FINE.
OR,
2) click on the text hyperlink next to the attached thumbnail in order to DOWNLOAD the image file...this is where the problem now is, whereas previously it worked fine. :

The file (a .jpg, or a .pdf... occurs with both these types that I've tested, for example) gets downloaded to one's device but after downloading is not recognized because the "." period in the file name extension was removed. myfile.jpg or myfile.pdf becomes myfilejpg or myfilepdf. Thus our computer/devices will not recognize how to open the downloaded file. If you RENAME the file and REPLACE the period in the name, the file then opens and functions normally again.
Most of my members can't figure this out though, so all they know is that they can't download attached files and images anymore.
This has been happening for at least three weeks, maybe as long as 5 or 6 weeks... I was only made aware of it recently, because most members were perhaps assuming the problem was with their own computers.
Thanks for any help!

here's a forum post on my site about the issue, where I've attached both a jpg and a pdf somewhere in the discussion, so you can see it happen if you download the files, in case you can't replicate it on your test system:
https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/33193/glitch-with-graphics#r33206

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 04/20/19 02:53:52PM
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
This has already been fixed in the Core 6.1.12:

- Bug Fix: Some downloaded item files may not get the correct file extension for the file type

That should be out of beta shortly.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Oh, terrific! :D
My site members and I will be happy to wait a while for the fix if it's not convenient to release the Beta in the next week or two. We don't mind waiting if we know the fix is coming down the line eventually.
Thanks so much!! :) I'll mark this 'Complete' then.

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
3,602 posts
Just installed the new version of Core and tested this attachment bug-
It's fixed, thank you !! :D

--
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
Strumelia:
Just installed the new version of Core and tested this attachment bug-
It's fixed, thank you !! :D

Glad to hear that and no problem - thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net