Using TinyMce editor to upload media

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
Two matters...

In ACP, the main option setting for TinyMCe is described as follows:

If this option is checked, then only media from the active profile will show in the TinyMCE Embed popup. If unchecked, then all media system wide (that [ARE] not private) will be available

When it is checked by default, the active profile presumably has to acquire media from outside the system, to acquire its own set of media. In my case, this seems to work for images (I can upload from my computer disk) but not for document/pdf files. Instead what I see is a piece of html that remains visible after the post is saved, without actually uploading the target file:

e.g. (square bracket) jrEmbed module="jrFile" id="14" (square bracket)

Is this just a problem in my system, or is it general?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 03/23/19 08:54:52PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
When I click on the 'embed local media' button in the tinymce editor, I get the tabs to choose to embed MEDIA such as photos, playlists, videos, soundcloud, Vimeo, Youtubes, or..."Upload an Image" tab.
When I go to upload an image, that means an IMAGE, not a document or other file. When I tried to upload a 1 page PDF, or a .tif, it would not let me. I get "uploaded file was not saved. no file could be found.". I have no problems uploading .jpgs or .gifs however...actual images . Do you mean when you are using the "Upload an Image" function?

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
I have no problem uploading images with the TinyMce editor. The fail occurs when I try using the File upload function inside the TinyMCe editor. I can find files for uploading, and press the upload button, but all that results is the html string (inside square brackets, as noted above) sitting in my displayed text, when the post text is saved.

When I use the Files module and File tab in the menu of my member profiles, uploading files is no problem. I presume that is independent from the embedded media system.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
What will be put into the editor after you have added one of the files from a profile will be something like
[ jrEmbed module="jrFile" id="14"]
That will then be swapped out for a link to the actual file when the document is saved.

ACP -> MODULES -> CORE -> SYSTEM CORE -> QUOTA CONFIG -> Convert Embed Tags
also needs to be allowed for the profile using it.
quota_config.jpg
quota_config.jpg  •  160KB

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
That worked and is beautiful! Thanks.

Now I am wondering what the security pros and cons might be for all those profile code options.

I have a vague understanding that some kinds of code can be used in bad ways more easily than others.

Perhaps the ruling principle should be to make the site no more open than it needs to be.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
Nothing security really, just maybe if you have an un-trusted user quota that you keep new users in, then maybe you want to allow them to upload videos to their own profile, but not embed those videos in other places.

Its just a setting, you can decide how to use it. If it was me, I would go with, if they are allowed to upload stuff, and allowed to embed stuff then there's no reason not to let the stuff that they want to embed show. So I'd turn it on.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
PJ be sure to read the (?) jamroom help note for the checkbox option "Allow all html tags" that's there in the same Core 'quota config' area. It advises about possible security issues for that very broad html tags permission setting.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 12/10/18 07:25:03AM
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
Thanks... I found that. I am setting it up with just the standard set listed.

I have made a reference table for my various quotas summarising the media settings I have made for all of them, so I can keep track and make adjustments from here on out.

This is the info I must never forget:

ACP -> MODULES -> CORE -> SYSTEM CORE -> QUOTA CONFIG -> Convert Embed Tags (and other media settings)

i.e. Effective use of the TInyMce editor is contingent on media settings located in the System Core.

The media settings are really a key (core) area that needs Admin attention. I need a checklist of other jrCore module settings that I should give attention to! I have never really looked at that area as I thought it was all preset, with options determined by all the other modules. I wonder if JR hosted servers can be reached from the afterlife, so I can continue my studies forever!?

Thanks, P.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto

updated by @researchcooperative: 12/10/18 07:46:38AM
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
Just noticed another thing... when files and media are uploaded using dedicated modules, the upload size limit is very usefully shown next to the upload button, according to the settings made in the jrCore module.

In the case of the TinyMce editor, the media upload limit is not shown when we use the media button. Is this because I have not found the setting to show the upload limit, or because it is not available as a feature?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
researchcooperative:... In the case of the TinyMce editor, the media upload limit is not shown when we use the media button. ...
Yeah, thats a good point. I'll make a note of it. Thanks.
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
There is no upload limit in this location. The only limit is that it must be an image. Even a RIDICULOUSLY HUGE image is still going to be less than 50Mb.

Some ridiculously huge images samples can be found here if you need to test:
https://www.effigis.com/en/solutions/satellite-images/satellite-image-samples/