closed what's your favorite skin?

alt=
ABCD in Action
@abcd-in-action
5 years ago
61 posts
We looking to update the look of our JR site. We want to be sure to include a community forum, blogs, events since these are the hottest tools. People also post videos (primarily from youtube) that we'd like to organize in some way and photos.

Your thoughts on what skin would look good? We're hosted by JR so lots of options but I want to know what you like. Bonus points if you share a link to a JR site that use that skin. :-)
updated by @abcd-in-action: 03/30/20 02:59:27AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
3,602 posts
Well, what "looks good" is very different from one person to another. Some like very minimalistic modern clean looks, while others like sites that have lots to see on the main page, or colorful fun stuff.
That said, I notice you are posting this in the "Ning To Jamroom" forum, so am assuming you are coming from a Ning site originally... like myself.
The Jamroom team created the Ninja (formerly called "Ningja") skin several years ago to help the first wave of Ning site owners get what they wanted and get what they were familiar with in their ning sites, in transitioning to Jamroom.
That was back when I made the move from Ning to JR, so I opted to use that particular skin and have stuck with it.
JR skins are so code-able and available modules (plugins) are so plentiful, that you can adjust just about anything to whatever you need.
I wanted my several thousand members coming from Ning to feel immediately at home when we made the move, so my JR site looks quite a bit like my Ning site looked like, style wise. Yet it's infinitely better functioning and has many additional options. I know I could fairly easily change it to look more clean and modern- but that's really not what my members want. They want to see everything accessible from the Main page and to quickly scan what's new right there.

Here's my JR site for amateur musicians who play the mountain dulcimer, built on the Ninja skin several years ago and has had only had minor content changes applied since then:
https://fotmd.com/

Tell us whether your general taste and goal for your site's 'look' is for example: minimal/tech, heavymetal, mom-blog, news/politics, meditation-yoga-spa, vampirefiction, ...etc. :D

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
alt=
ABCD in Action
@abcd-in-action
5 years ago
61 posts
Thanks Strumelia - Great comments and a big thank you for sharing your site... I'm working with a committee to figure out which one we want to use. Your site is a great example of what the Ninja skin looks like. I know my personal preferences.... but it will be group decision (yikes!). so good to have actual real examples of skins. Anyone else want to share their site?

Deb
alt=
ABCD in Action
@abcd-in-action
5 years ago
61 posts
Strumelia - how much "tweaking" to the Ninja skin did you do? Is your site pretty much how it looks when you "take it out of the box"?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
3,602 posts
I did a lot of tweaking, sometimes with assistance from the JR team as well. My site has been tweaked now and then for the past several years. Not what it looked like out of the box of course. You just have to look on the JR skin pages to see the Ninja sample which shows exactly what it looks like 'out of the box'.
A little or your own color scheme across the site, your own images, and tweaking each feature page to look like what YOU want. (/video, /profile, /youtube, /blog, /group, etc etc) Also you'd be setting things to BEHAVE the way you want- a gazillion settings, but that's true of any skin.
The nice thing is that you can put your skin in place and things will function already.. then it's a matter of tweaking to your preferences. You don't really have to do everything right away. It's an ongoing process, sometimes hard to know when you're 'finished'... if ever. :)

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 12/18/19 01:42:08PM
michael
@michael
5 years ago
7,692 posts
'finished' :) .... oh wait, just one more thing.
alt=
ABCD in Action
@abcd-in-action
5 years ago
61 posts
michael:
'finished' :) .... oh wait, just one more thing.

Ha!