solved Provide documentation for "Adding a second domain to your JR Hosted server"

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
5 years ago
694 posts
I am not sure that the documentation for setting up a domain for the first time is suitable for when we add a second domain (for a second site) on the same server.

Perhaps all that is needed is a single paragraph to explain how adding a second domain is done. The basic steps may not be very different from adding and setting up the first domain.

My first question is: does setting up a second domain mean that a completely new set of software need to be installed?

I understand that a new set of modules will be needed, as the new site will run independently, but I suppose there is some server-side software that does not change: one server should be able to handle multiple domains and sites. So we do not need to wait for our server to be set up, when we add a second domain.

What should I expect regarding password access for Admin of the newly added, second domain and site associated with it?

Will a new Admin password be generated by the system, or should I create a new password from inside my JR hosted dashboard, and then login with this new Admin username and password?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 02/16/20 05:08:36PM
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
5 years ago
694 posts
UPDATE (solved): apparently I did something right, as the following automatic message was sent to my email address (see after the asterisks).

As the first person to login at the new site, using the "create account" tab, my account becomes the Master Admin account, and the password is created by me, manually.... NOT from inside the JR hosted dashboard. See the message below.

"A new Domain has been created on your Jamroom Server, and Jamroom has been successfully installed!

It may take a little bit for DNS to update so the domain no longer shows as "pending" - once it is online it will be available here:

http://yourdomain.jamroomhosting.com

The first User Account you create in your new Jamroom site will be a "Master Admin" account which gives you unlimited access to the site.

Once your new Jamroom site is all setup you can easily switch the Active Domain on the site to be the primary domain:

[Your domain]

by following this guide:

https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/jamroom-hosting/2556/making-the-primary-or-secondary-domain-active

If you are new to Jamroom, make sure and check out the Jamroom Admin Handbook:

https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/jamroom-admin-handbook

Jamroom is a very configurable product so give yourself some time to get up to speed - once you do things will "click" and you'll be an expert in no time.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have fun with your new Jamroom!

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)