solved Can i change the icon for chat?

Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
i was thinking maybe about putting a little png of some text that says CHAT in place of the little chat icon in corner of screen to make it easier for users to notice ? i dont know what are your thoughts on this and is it possible?
updated by @zachary-moonshine: 05/07/17 06:00:25AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Zach, via FTP, go into here and pull a copy of this .png :

yoursite.com/public_html/modules/jrChat-release-1.1.0/img/icons_black/chat-open.png
(-notice its size is 64x64 pixels, and it's background layer is transparent)

Create your own new .png, 64x64 px, and transparent background if desired. Call it chat-open.png and replace the default png with your own, via FTP. (save a copy of the default one in same folder there though, and maybe re-name it "orig_chat-open.png" just in case you need to revert back to it at some point.) Using the same name for your new png is good because if it's called up by code anywhere, it'll now just automatically show your new png wherever called up...just as though it were the original png.

Edit- I just realized that using this method you'd have to do the same replacement each time you updated to a new chat version folder (currently 1.1.0, but eventually a new folder for 1.1.1, etc). This is simple enough to do each time there is a jrChat update...updates tend to slow down after the initial flurry of a new module.
I realize it'd be more elegant to change the codes to always point to your uniquely-named icon INSTEAD of to ,chat-open.png .... but that's beyond my ability and my crude method might just get the job done for you in the meantime. L O L Maybe someone else can tell you how to get it accomplished more permanently.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 01/28/17 10:51:50AM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,695 posts
copy the icon you want to override to your skin, change it there.

Then refresh the caches. so the icon you'd want to create is likely
/skins/YOUR SKIN/img/icons_black/chat-open.png

adjust as you like. Since its in your skin, it will survive updates.

As a general rule, dont change anything in the /modules folder, there's usually a way to override and also keep it safe from updates. :)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
OOh, yeah, thanks Michael!
I thought about uploading a custom chat-open.png to my skin Images area...but does the skin then automatically know where to apply that .png to?- in the right places? Will the skin know what to do with it without you pointing codes to it someplace?

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,695 posts
yeah, because the icons provided by a module dont show up in the IMAGES tab in the skin, there needed to be a way to over-ride them.

so the way it works is similar to the way you would over-ride a template of a module you wanted to change. Copy it to the correct location in the skin and it will kick in automatically (after a cache refresh)

Behind the scenes the logic is: "Is there a file with the same name in the same icon folder in the skin? if there is, use that, if not use the default one provided by the module."

This will work for any module that has a /img/icons_black/ folder (or an icons white, if the skin uses that.)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Michael, in my skin, I don't have any subfolders in its
/skins/YOUR SKIN/img/ folder. Just some various .jpg, .png, and .gif images all thrown in the /img/ folder of my skin...no subfolders are there.
Would I need to CREATE a /icons_black/ subfolder there, and put my custom chat-open.png file in the new sub-folder? OR- just throw the new .png in the general /img/ folder of my skin along with the other images there?

--
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,139 posts
Strumelia:
Michael, in my skin, I don't have any subfolders in its
/skins/YOUR SKIN/img/ folder. Just some various .jpg, .png, and .gif images all thrown in the /img/ folder of my skin...no subfolders are there.
Would I need to CREATE a /icons_black/ subfolder there, and put my custom chat-open.png file in the new sub-folder? OR- just throw the new .png in the general /img/ folder of my skin along with the other images there?

You would CREATE a directory called "icons_black" and "icons_white". If your image is NOT in one of those directories it will not be seen as an "icon".

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,695 posts
You'd want to know whether your skin uses /icons_black/ or /icons_white/ first.

Or put it in both locations, then you dont need to know. ;)

If you want to know, its in the _init() function in your skins include.php you'll see:

// Tell the core the default icon set to use (black or white)
    jrCore_register_module_feature('jrCore', 'icon_color', 'jrElastic2', 'black');

^ that shows the jrElastic2 skin is using the 'black' icons.

For your skin, make the /img/icons_black/ folder and put the icon in there.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Ok got it!! :D Thanks, i totally understand now! (whew!)

...and this way, anytime I clone a new skin off my custom skin, the new folders and icon .pngs will be carried over to the new skin too. woo-hooo

Michael- when I hovered over the icon on my site using the Chrome Inspect tool, I saw references to the icons_black folder... so I knew that's the one for my skin. But I created both black and white folders in my skin's IMG folder, just to be safe. ;)

--

updated by @strumelia: 01/28/17 11:51:26AM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
michael:
copy the icon you want to override to your skin, change it there.

Then refresh the caches. so the icon you'd want to create is likely

adjust as you like. Since its in your skin, it will survive updates.

As a general rule, dont change anything in the /modules folder, there's usually a way to override and also keep it safe from updates. :)

where exactly do i go to do this?
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,139 posts
In your custom skin img directory - i.e.

skins/CUSTOMSKIN/img

Make SURE you are using a cloned skin:

https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/problems/1527/i-just-upgraded-and-lost-my-changes#step-one-clone-the-skin-you-want-to-customize

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
i think i screwed this up used an image that was too big and or had too many colors so trying to revert it back to the default and replaced all png files with original but still showing this messed up one i added a while back not sure what im missing?
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,695 posts
It seams hard to screw up,

copy:
/modules/jrChat/img/icons_black/chat-open.png
to:

open /skins/YOUR SKIN/img/icons_black/chat-open.png in an image editor, edit.

Save it, upload it to your site.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Zach, note that the default chat-open.png is 64 x 64 pixels in size. Did you make your custom .png too big?

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
yeah i made it too big but now i just wanna get the original back i have it uploaded and replaced the one in ftp in modules its strange i cant seem to find where the skin is even grabbing this image from?
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
michael:
It seams hard to screw up,

copy:
/modules/jrChat/img/icons_black/chat-open.png
to:

open /skins/YOUR SKIN/img/icons_black/chat-open.png in an image editor, edit.

Save it, upload it to your site.

hahhaha Leave it to me to find a way to screw something up dude hahahahha
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,695 posts
;) you'll get it.

remember to reset the icon cache to see your changes
ACP -> MODULES -> CORE -> TOOLS -> RESET CACHES
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
lmao that was it the whole time just didnt know where to reset caches i guess i thought integrity checks did all that
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,695 posts
awesome. :) Glad you got it sorted.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Zach, just a tip- when you make a small change to your site (assuming you have NOT put it into Developer Mode first, which would show your changes immediately, but would also slow down your site if it's live)... then you only need to do the Reset Cache with all options checked in order to see your changes take effect. You don't have to do the whole Integrity Check for every little change. (though it's good to do that if you've made a bunch of changes) Reset Cache will make your last change show, and it's real quick. Occasionally you may have to also refresh your browser page to see the change as well.

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
ahh i didnt even know we had a developer mode on jamroom thats good to know where do i turn that on and off?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Go to ACP>Developer>Developer Tools>Global Config>general settings>run in developer mode

The module is called jrDeveloper

--

updated by @strumelia: 02/05/17 02:27:57PM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
7 years ago
823 posts
found it thanks