solved Please explain new update for Profiles module

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Under the newest update to the Profiles module, it says this:

- Change: Profile items that exceed the amount allowed in the Quota will now show a "not found" page
- Bug Fix: Profile owners not seeing all items if Hard Limit is set for Quota Limit Type

I'm not understanding. It seems to be saying that members can add more items than their quota permits, ...but that they just won't SEE the extra items. Why would they be able to add more than their quota permits in the first place? Can you help me understand what this is about please?

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 02/16/18 11:34:40AM
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Strumelia:
It seems to be saying that members can add more items than their quota permits, ...but that they just won't SEE the extra items. Why would they be able to add more than their quota permits in the first place? Can you help me understand what this is about please?

No - that's not what this means :) Imagine the following scenario:

- you have a user that uploads 20 songs BEFORE you place any quota limits in place
- you then set their quota limit to "10"

in this instance only the first 10 songs will now show to visitors to the profile (based on the order as set in display order). The change made it so if a visitor attempted to view a song that was hidden because of the profile limit (say song #11) they previously would get an error about the quota limits being enforced - it was the message meant to be displayed to the site owner. Now instead it just shows a "not found" page to visitors.

The second fix for hard versus soft limit was that if you had set the profile quota limit to a HARD limit (i.e. not allowed to exceed at all) profile owners would not "see" the songs above the limit to delete them.

Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
"The second fix for hard versus soft limit was that if you had set the profile quota limit to a HARD limit (i.e. not allowed to exceed at all) profile owners would not "see" the songs above the limit to delete them."

Not quite getting this last one. Are you still referring to excess items added BEFORE I had set a hard limit for that quota?
and.. Are you saying the bug fix will now allow the member to see their excess items which would enable them to delete them themselves... meaning that previously they'd not even see the above-limit items at all and thus not be able to delete them?

--
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Correct.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Ok that was easy. "Solved". :D

--