solved Comment box not displaying correctly for some users

lornawebber
@lornawebber
6 years ago
334 posts
A user has reported that the comment box now looks like a large grey box with an open book icon in the centre. She cannot enter text. Clicking on the book icon, she says "a page comes up with a pen in the bottom right corner. When I click on it the cursor appears and I can type a message. "

She has cleared browser history and cache to no effect.
I attach a screen shot she's sent...

I will ask for more details on her system etc., but this has happened since the Redis update that @brian added for us, so I assume it's to do with the TinyMCE editor upgrade.
Patsmith Grey box.PNG

updated by @lornawebber: 05/31/18 04:57:49PM
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
This is correct - this is the new mobile enabled editor in Jamroom Core 6.1.6. Your users will see this is they are using a mobile device or a table with a small resolution.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
lornawebber
@lornawebber
6 years ago
334 posts
OK, I had an email notification to say that this forum post has been updated, but the comment is not here.

I understand that this grey box thing is the new mobile enabled text editor. Was not expecting that!

I have just used my iphone to put a comment on a group discussion and though it seemed to be sent, the comment has not appeared on the discussion (rather like the forum update).

Seems to be a fault there somewhere?
lornawebber
@lornawebber
6 years ago
334 posts
Your comment has now appeared. A bit of a lag.
My group discussion comment still isn't on the discussion.
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
lornawebber:
OK, I had an email notification to say that this forum post has been updated, but the comment is not here.

The comment is here - it's just you're not seeing due to caching. I'm looking into it - I believe I know what the root cause is and it comes down to needing to reset the forum view cache for users that are involved in a thread when a new post is added to a thread.

lornawebber:
I understand that this grey box thing is the new mobile enabled text editor. Was not expecting that!

I have just used my iphone to put a comment on a group discussion and though it seemed to be sent, the comment has not appeared on the discussion (rather like the forum update).

Seems to be a fault there somewhere?

It sounds like the same caching issue. There have been some low level changes in caching recently as we update modules to try and be more "targeted" towards cache resets - as a system gets busier it becomes costlier and costlier to simply reset an entire profiles cache every time an item is updated. I think we're seeing the effect of that here, but I have to do some testing to be sure.

--
Brian Johnson

updated by @brian: 02/22/18 02:56:51PM
lornawebber
@lornawebber
6 years ago
334 posts
lornawebber:

Um, it might just be that I didn't post it correctly. I thought clicking the tick/check symbol posted the comment, but I now think you also need to return to the discussion and then post the comment you've just typed in? I have asked for clarification on the Redis support ticket. Sorry to be having this conversation in two different places. You can ignore the ticket query if you prefer.
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
Correct - you have to click the checkbox to get back to the form (since there may be additional elements in the form that need to be handled) - then submit the form like normal.

--
Brian Johnson
lornawebber
@lornawebber
6 years ago
334 posts
I've raised a support ticket because several iPad users have reported that they're not seeing the pen symbol after clicking the book icon. They just get a white screen and have to reload the page.

Tags