solved Mobile post editor problem

White Agency
White Agency
@white-agency
5 years ago
204 posts
Just had this reported by users.
On a mobile device or through Chrome Dev tools in responsive mode the create/new post box is appearing as in the attachment.

Everything is up to-date.
updated by @white-agency: 06/16/19 12:49:17AM
nate
@nate
5 years ago
911 posts
What skin is this?
Can you post a link with admin log in info?
White Agency
White Agency
@white-agency
5 years ago
204 posts
It's our own skin based on the original NingJa skin.

I'll send in a support ticket with the login details on.

Cheers

Dave
lornawebber
@lornawebber
5 years ago
334 posts
We have this too. I assume it is a new format comment editor for small screen devices. I seem to remember it was introduced last year but then reverted.
On my smart phone, I can type directly into the grey box and click the "post comment" button, or I can click on the book icon and type into the normal white comment box. I then have to return to the discussion/forum page using a blue return arrow at top left of the box, and then click "post comment".

That said, our users are experiencing problems embedding images into comments on small screen devices (phones and particularly iPads which many of our members are using). There is no option to select the image display size, and the image embeds at full size (huge). It is possible to select the image in the comment box and drag the corners in to re-size, but when posting the comment, it reverts to the massive size (original image size maybe?).

I was going to raise a support ticket for that but I'll wait and see the response to this forum post.
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
The editor is working as it should on mobile as far as I am aware. Note that (of course) the features of the editor are a bit slimmed down on mobile when compared to desktop. The way the mobile editor works is:

- By default the editor is not "on" - this is on purpose since the editor code is ~400kb and on a low-end or slow mobile connection there is no need to load it if you're not going to use it.
- You click the "book" icon and the mobile editor is enabled. Note that this is a "take over" screen - it is not inline like it would be on the desktop. Think of it as going to a separate editor page.
- When done, click the "back arrow" in the upper left and you will go back to the form where you can change any other form fields
- save as normal

Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
lornawebber
@lornawebber
5 years ago
334 posts
@brian thanks for the explanation - that's what I thought.
The problem I have is that embedded images don't seem to be re-sizable by dragging in the corners, when commenting on a mobile device. It may be a caching issue - the image appears to be reduced in size when a corner is dragged in, but it still shows in the large size when the comment is posted. I'll test a bit further including clearing caches, and let you know if it works or not.
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
lornawebber:
@brian thanks for the explanation - that's what I thought.
The problem I have is that embedded images don't seem to be re-sizable by dragging in the corners, when commenting on a mobile device. It may be a caching issue - the image appears to be reduced in size when a corner is dragged in, but it still shows in the large size when the comment is posted. I'll test a bit further including clearing caches, and let you know if it works or not.

I'm not seeing any ability to "drag by corners". Note that the image insert functionality is part of the editor - that's not something Jamroom inserts or controls, so we don't have control over the size. Would it be better to simply remove the ability to attach an image?

--
Brian Johnson
lornawebber
@lornawebber
5 years ago
334 posts
Brian, posting images is central to what we do on our site so I definitely can't remove that facility.
This didn't use to be a problem - I guess there must have been a change to the editor.

I've just tested embedding an image in a comment on my profile page, using my phone. It's really not easy to use the small-screen editor. Sometimes I can type directly into the grey box. Sometimes I have to click the book icon and tap the white comment box in order to get the phone keypad up. I embedded an image and it looked small enough in the white comment box. I notice that the Return button no longer returns to the comment box on the profile page, it only goes to the top of the page and you have to scroll down to find the comment box to click "post comment". Anyway, as soon as I posted my embedded image, it was enlarged to a huge size (probably the "original image" size of 1398 x 1835 pixels.) I have to go on my PC and edit the comment to reduce the image size by dragging in the corners.

Is it possible to default to the normal comment editor, instead of the small-screen editor, when on mobile devices? Is there an option for that?
brian
@brian
5 years ago
10,136 posts
lornawebber:
Is it possible to default to the normal comment editor, instead of the small-screen editor, when on mobile devices? Is there an option for that?

No - the "normal" editor has never been enabled on mobile devices. Previous to Jamroom 6.1.6 (when the mobile editor was first introduced) mobile devices would see just a simple textarea - no editor. The problem with that is that if you created a post on a desktop (for example) and then came back later to edit it on a mobile device, then you would just see the raw HTML in the texraea. This of course caused issues. With Jamroom Core 6.1.6 the TinyMCE editor (which Jamroom uses) included a new beta mobile editor, and that is what has been enabled since then.

I'm not sure if it will function on the mobile device but if you want to FORCE all devices to use the standard editor (which again is NOT made for mobile devices and is not likely to look right) you can edit the "form_editor.tpl" file in the System Core module (templates tab) and remove these lines (13 - 15):

{if jrCore_is_mobile_device() && !jrCore_is_tablet_device()}
    mobile: { theme: 'mobile' },
    {/if}

Save, click the enabled checkbox and reset caches.

I'm not 100% sure that will force the "normal" editor on mobile phones, but that is how it is controlled. I would be prepared for the regular editor to have significant size issues on mobile phones, however, so I would make sure and test that thoroughly.

--
Brian Johnson
lornawebber
@lornawebber
5 years ago
334 posts
Thank you very much Brian, for taking the time to explain and for offering an option.
I'll look into it.

Tags