solved Continued Calendar / Event challenges

Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Hello all,
Most of our many calendar issues have been resolved.

Three issues have us stymied still. Hoping someone can help (with any and all).

1. http://lewwwp.com
On our HOME page, right column, you can see a mini calendar and further below it, can see upcoming classes showing in correct order. All good!

If you click the main menu tab that says "Classes" you will also see the same mini-calendar, and below it the upcoming classes in correct order. Also all good!
[And, thanks to Joanna and JamRoom's help, we also can click on prior or future months to see classes. And, have a subtab to show either 2016 or 2017 classes/calendar events. All super great!]

But... When you click on the Classes tab and then on any specific date, for example December 12th: http://lewwwp.com/calendar/day=12/month=12/year=2016
THEN you see that day's classes in the wrong order! They go from the last class of the day to the first class of the day, instead of in reverse.

This is confusing some of our members, and in at least two instances has resulted in their missing classes (because they checked the calendar in this way and thought the class had been canceled because the first one they saw was for an upcoming event that they presumed was the next/soonest upcoming event).
is there a way to fix this? (I hope the answer is yes)

2. I thought this issue had been fixed, but it is still occurring (I've tested it several times now). The second a class starts, it disappears from the calendar, from all listings. If a member comes to the site 1/2 a minute late, and clicks on the calendar (to grab the link to log in to our Zoom Room or Hangout or Skype call), the class listing is GONE. He/She can find it by clicking on the day's date in the calendar, but then the problem outlined in number 1 above result in him/her giving up.

It would be useful, I would think, not only for us but even moreso maybe for those who have, for example, three-day events... they disappear on day one?

Please advise where we can check settings to fix this, or what we may be doing wrong? We would really like to have events disappear from the upcoming calendar the minute they are scheduled to END rather than the minute they begin.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. With the new ability to have registrations for events show in the timeline "so and so is attending such and such an event" = love it! This is already helping others to remember to register for an event.

But. . . the minute a class begins (or ends? I am not sure which), the latest activity posting shows this (please see attached screenshot). This then becomes something else to delete from our latest activity stream. Many of our members sign in only once a day or a few times a week, and scroll back through our latest activity items.

Is there a way to retain the link, so that those scrolling through our latest activity after a class has ended might visit the link, see what they missed, and (ideally) register for the next recurring class for that course/topic?

Adding a #4: As I checked the attached screenshot I realize that a language editor change is needed so it reads 'a class' instead of 'an class' (we changed 'event' to 'class').

I cannot find where to change 'an' to 'a'. Can someone guide me? Not in language editor for Timeline or for Events?

[If there are screenshots / confirmations of our settings that you want to see, please tell me which ones/where. Thank you.]

updated by @holly-dilatush: 03/09/17 08:01:36AM
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
This is a lot to read through - going forward could I get you to only post 1 issue per post? Listing multiple issues makes it difficult to keep track of what is going on, what has been fixed, and what might still be outstanding.

Most of these appear to be template issues, so are pretty easy to fix.

#1 - sounds like the jrEvent list just needs to be ordered by whatever you want it to be ordered by (i.e. start time, created, etc.)

#2 - I'm not sure about this one - I believe an event will show for up to 60 minutes after the start time, but I'd have to specifically look at your site to see how you are using it, what conditions are on the listing call, etc.

#3 - again this sounds like an issue with the listing NOT getting the info since the event has started - that shouldn't happen on a timeline entry and we can check it out.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
#1 - I just looked in your DB and I can see you have an error in your customized jrEvent/index.tpl - you have:

{jrCore_list module="jrEvent" order_by="event_date descc" pagebreak=10 page=$_post.p pager=true}

See the double "cc" in your order_by? That's incorrect so it defaults to _item_id DESC. You want to change this to:

{jrCore_list module="jrEvent" order_by="event_date asc" pagebreak=10 page=$_post.p pager=true}

#3 should be fixed on your site as well - let me know if that looks better.

--
Brian Johnson

updated by @brian: 12/06/16 06:53:56AM
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
Hi Brian :)

#1 - That double letter was my silly mistake.

I used your suggestion and changed it, but I don't see any changes.

http://lewwwp.com/calendar/day=12/month=12/year=2016
The order of events is from the last one to the first one.

I reset cache, clicked many times 'save.'

#2 - I used Site Builder to create events' page and the home page.
I chose :
{jrCore_list module="jrEvent" order_by="event_end_day asc" limit="5"}

Thank you for your help and quick responses.
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
That should have fixed it - can you open a ticket with your login so I can check out the template?

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
No problem, I opened a ticket.

Thank you :)
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
This is fixed - there were TWO jrCore_list calls in that template that both needed to be changed. I changed the second call and it is working.

--
Brian Johnson
joanna
@joanna
8 years ago
88 posts
Huge thank you for this help.
So, #1 from the above we may call solved.

Do you have any magic wand to help me to resolve the #2 - so the event should disappear when it finishes not when it starts. What code should I use for it?
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
joanna:
Huge thank you for this help.
So, #1 from the above we may call solved.

Do you have any magic wand to help me to resolve the #2 - so the event should disappear when it finishes not when it starts. What code should I use for it?

I'm not sure at this point - I'm looking at the module to see how it is implemented and will let you know.

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
3,602 posts
joanna:...the event should disappear when it finishes not when it starts.

This would be a big improvement. In the past, many JR sites would just have concerts or podcasts etc as Events...and this wouldn't matter so much. But now lots of jr sites are becoming more social including more non-band sites. At least half of the Events on my own site for example are for like 2-5 day festivals/camps/gatherings. It does always feel weird when a friday-sunday event people are discussing suddenly disappears on friday simply because it's already considered to be 'past'.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
This is a bit trickier than it may seem to handle - I'm not sure the DS functions WILL handle it, but I am checking it out.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
I think the best we can do at this time is have it so events will show until their start time + (number of minutes AFTER the start time). The problem is that each event in a large listing could have a different end time, and thus a different "length". There's no way for us to handle that type of "unique range value per item" when generating a listing.

So right now I was going to go with start_time + 1 hour as the default and have it be a config option that can be set at the site level. While not perfect, my hope would be that it would be useful to not have the events drop off the listing immediately.

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
3,602 posts
This solution sounds like an improvement from how it is now Brian. I might set it on my own site for something like 24 or 36 hours, actually... so good that we can configure the number of 'minutes' individually for our own sites. :)

--
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,144 posts
I've got this in place now, just needs some testing and we can hopefully get it released tomorrow.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
I will be watching for this; thank you!

Am assuming it will be one setting that will apply to all classes/events?

So, having our half hour classes stay on the calendar an extra half hour will be a small challenge, but much less of a challenge than having them disappear. Our hour-long classes will work perfectly; super!

Question re: #3 and the fix you want me to watch for... these should stay in the timeline with an active link 'forever'? If so, super!
--
And that leaves only #4 = where can I/we find the "has posted an" and change it to "has posted a"? [can't find this in language editor]

Thank you,
Holly
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Not seeing "has posted an" or "has posted a" in the current code base. Could be that its already a customization, or it was that and has been changed.
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Sorry, Michael.
I am not completely following you here.

We did use language editor to change "event" to "class."

That's why "...has scheduled an event" reads "...has scheduled an class."

But language editor only shows 'event'.

Are you saying we can't change this anywhere?

Sorry to be so dense,
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
3,602 posts
Holly, when you go to yoursite.com/event/admin/language
do you not see
"Created a new Event"
and
"Updated an Event" right around lines 32 and 33 or so?

--
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Yes. See attached. these changes have been in place for weeks (if not months).

But as per the screenshot attached to my first post above, and in our timeline today, whenever someone registers and clicks to attend a class, what appears in the latest activity stream says 'an class'.

There must be another place that needs changing?
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
You said:
Quote: And that leaves only #4 = where can I/we find the "has posted an" and change it to "has posted a"? [can't find this in language editor]
so I said:
Quote: [i'm] ....Not seeing "has posted an" or "has posted a"......
.....anywhere coming from Jamroom. I don't understand the location to see '.......has posted an......' in the site where you're trying to change.

If you know the location where that can be seen, please post a URL so I can understand the location you mean.

Thanks.
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
I'm so sorry to be confusing you, Michael.

I shared the screenshot of the language editor (lewwwp.com/calendar/admin/language)

and I'll attach another screenshot now of what we see in latest activity/timeline entries:

It's still showing this way... even with changes in the language editor.
But in the events language editor I do not find "is attending an event" and I don't know where else to look.

But this tells me that there must be some other place in the ACP or somewhere, that an edit is needed. I am not finding it.

I don't know where else/how else to let you know where this is happening.
In the timeline it looks like the attached.

Here's a link to another example (on profile page)
http://lewwwp.com/svetlana/profile_activity/7075
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
This is what I needed:
http://lewwwp.com/svetlana/profile_activity/7075

That tells me that the string you're after is found in:
/modules/jrAction/templates/item_action.tpl

And is controlled by language string 143 of the event module.

It can be updated at:
YOUR-SITE.COM/event/admin/language

(unless you've created a skin over-ride for that template)
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
I am sitting here dumbfounded.
You don't know how many times I studied both pages of language editor changes and DID NOT SEE this 'in my face' line to correct.
It is now fixed.
I am embarrassed and apologize for all the unnecessary waste of folks' time.
Closing this parade of calendar issues.
Thank you.

Tags