solved Latest Activity showing "Holly posted a new comment on Holly"

Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Please note the attached series of screenshots.

I will try to explain what happens and what I think should (what I wish would) happen.

I will also state that this has been a challenge for us since migrating, but we thought at first that the issue was with Ningja (now Ninja) skin, or with Beta 6. We have waited until after JamRoom 6 was out of beta to report this again.

[Initially we had "member is following member" notices showing in our timeline/home page latest activity stream. We asked for and received help on how to stop those from appearing on our home page.]

As community manager of our site, I make it a practice to leave a personal welcome note on each new member's profile.

I have it set so that "Holly" (my non-admin profile) auto-follows AND is auto-followed by all new members.

It is my understanding (perhaps incorrectly?) that when two members are following each other, typing @_____ (followed by the other member's name, as in @Holly) will appear as an active hyperlink.
[It is my understanding that these will NOT hyperlink if the two members are not following each other.]

So, when I am auto-following and auto-followed by a new member, I expect the first screenshot attached here to show an active hyperlink to the new member (in this case @Vemuri-Sowmya).

As you can see by the attached screenshot, the new member's name is not hyperlinked.

I do this intentionally, as a way of alerting other members that a new member has joined, and with the hope that other members will then welcome this new member, too.

To complicate matters, if one clicks on the hyperlink from this screenshot (the hyperlink to the comment, they hyperlink showing in the latest activity entry, you see (second screenshot coming in next reply)
updated by @holly-dilatush: 04/05/17 11:36:13PM
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
if one clicks on the hyperlink from the above screenshot (the hyperlink to the comment, they hyperlink showing in the latest activity entry, you see this (see screenshot, please).

Nothing here lets members link to this new member's profile.
confusing.
So, other members must know to click on the "Members" tab and look for new members.
The timeline/Latest Activity entry is useless.

But... if you go to my profile page directly (not via the hyperlink given in the Latest Activity timeline, but to lewwwp.com/holly, you see (third screenshot coming)
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
If you go to lewwwp.com/holly you see (see screenshot, please).

The @___ is still not active, but there is a hyperlink above that to Vemuri-Sowmya's profile page.

Some members might see that and visit the new member's page.
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
And of course if you visit the new member's page, you see the full message on his/her comment wall.

My expectation would be that my comment wall entry would appear with an active @_____ (because I have settings to auto-follow and be auto-followed by all new members).

Then, at a quick glance and one click, other members could go to the new member's page and leave his/her own welcome message.

Meanwhile, I keep deleting timeline entries that awkwardly read "Holly @Holly" so as not to confuse other members.

I hope you can understand my issue.

The only workaround I can see is another step for me... and that would be to add a status note/post every time I welcome a new member, and share the direct link for their profile in that status message.
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,136 posts
Holly Dilatush:
It is my understanding (perhaps incorrectly?) that when two members are following each other, typing @_____ (followed by the other member's name, as in @Holly) will appear as an active hyperlink.
[It is my understanding that these will NOT hyperlink if the two members are not following each other.]

That's not correct. The hyperlink happens as long as the name is a valid profile on the system - it doesn't matter if you're followers.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
brian:
That's not correct. The hyperlink happens as long as the name is a valid profile on the system - it doesn't matter if you're followers.

So this tells me we have an issue on our site. Should I put in a ticket and share username / password?
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,136 posts
It depends - after a cache reset does the hyperlink show?

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Hi again, Brian.
I ran the updates, integrity check, reset cache over 10 minutes ago.

The first screenshot shared above still appears the same way in our latest activity timeline (not sure if it was supposed to retroactively correct?)

But I tested by leaving a new comment on another profile, and discovered that when I typed:

@Holly @LEWWWP-Learner @admin

ONLY "@admin" became active.

BUT when I typed @holly, @lewwwp-learner, @admin,
all three were active.

So the problem is that these are apparently case sensitive?!

I like to type members' names with appropriate honorific capitals.

Apparently I cannot do that?

Profile names are typed with Upper case lowercase, but convert to lower case.

Is there a way to not have these be case-sensitive?

That may well be the error all along, since I am not the only one who tends to naturally capitalize names.

I tried a second test...

Well, so... I wrote the above and then went back and refreshed the home page once again.

Now it works capitalized or uncapitalized! Hooray! Yes! Woot!

but...

it still shows "Holly @Holly"

Is this the way it will always work... it will never say "Holly posted a comment on @Joanna?

Please see attached screenshot (this is 15 minutes after installing updates and resetting cache).

Thanks,
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,136 posts
Profile URLs are case sensitive, but we could probably change that since there can't be both @Brian and @brian on the same system.

The "posted a new comment on @holly" means you posted a comment on your own profile - is that not correct?

--
Brian Johnson
brian
@brian
8 years ago
10,136 posts
Profile names aren't case sensitive - at least not based on what I see in my previous response.

--
Brian Johnson
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
brian:

The "posted a new comment on @holly" means you posted a comment on your own profile - is that not correct?

No.

The screenshot you see is a comment I posted (from my Holly profile) on Joanna's profile page.
I went to her profile page and typed my comment there.

But what shows up in the Timeline of Latest Activity is what you see in the screenshot... that Holly posted a new comment on Holly.

I posted as Holly, but on Joanna's profile page.

This is how anyone's comments on anyone else's profile show up. It does not matter whether or not the persons are following each other. Our Latest Activity Timeline always shows this way.
updated by @holly-dilatush: 12/12/16 02:46:37PM
Holly Dilatush
Holly Dilatush
@holly-dilatush
8 years ago
212 posts
Let me try again.

Whenever any member adds a welcome message on any other member's profile page, our timeline entries read:
posting member @posting member

It is my understanding that this is NOT supposed to be happening? It certainly is confusing for all of our members (and me!).

Will others using Ninja Skin advise if this is what happens on their site(s), too?

Thanks (after Christmas is fine; enjoy your holidays!),
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
I just updated to jr6 yesterday, and I'm now suddenly seeing this as well. See attached screenshot from my home page Timeline. I am using my custom skin which was built from Ningja.
And though the link says "@ strumelia", clicking on it does take me correctly to my comment on David's profile page, here:
http://fotmd.com/david-pedersen#cm132389
-but the hotlink shouldn't say "@ strumelia" I believe? It does look confusing and nobody can see on whose page somebody actually left their comment. It is showing the same on my own profile page timeline as well. It seems to only happen when a member posts a comment on the comment wall of another member's profile page. Other links in the timeline for comments show up correctly (like a comment on someone's video etc).
atstrumelia.jpg
atstrumelia.jpg  •  146KB

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 01/03/17 05:38:49PM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
ok, so for you strumelia its the timeline entry for writing a comment on someones profile right. Will look at it now.
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
take a look now, think this is working correctly on your site strumelia. if it is I'll get it out for everyone.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Micheal, it appears to be working perfectly now- thank you! :D

I guess if you 'get it out for everyone' that means:
1) it'll then automatically be fixed on my other site
2) i'll need to remove your customization/fix on my fotmd site at that point and just go with the update when you release it?

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
you can reset the template if you like, or not, it will be the same. maybe if you're feeling uncertain use the compare tool. That will show both files are the same. If both files are the same then using the default is a good idea.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Ok yes, I'll use the compare tool after the next release. :)

-can you tell me what template you applied your fix to, so I can see it and maybe apply it to my whistle site? -and was it in my jrAction module or in my custom skin?

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/new_posts/47834/jr6-bug-in-the-profile-page-timeline-links
same file as in the other thread, just a different line:
michael:.....
I've adjusted it in this template:
http://fotmd.com/comment/template_modify/id=242 .....
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Thanks so very much Michael!
I'll mark this thread solved. :)

edit: oops, it's Holly's thread, so I can't. =8-*

--

updated by @strumelia: 01/05/17 07:12:01AM

Tags