No comments box on profiles, images or Private Notes for some users

lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
Anyone else experiencing this?
Following an update yesterday, a number of users have reported that they are unable to leave comments anywhere on site, although Support Tickets are still working. I've tried in my Admin and Non-Admin user and everything looks fine to me. I'm currently awaiting more details, but one user is on Windows 7 with Firefox. I have an older Windows but also use Firefox and I'm not seeing this at all.
updated by @lornawebber: 04/09/18 09:33:01PM
Deb W.
Deb W.
@deb-w
7 years ago
136 posts
I'm having exactly the same problem!!! I can't see any comment boxes anywhere on our site.. either as an admin or non-admin. Not sure what our members are seeing (or not seeing). I am using Safari on a Mac. Just submitted a ticket.
Deb W.
Deb W.
@deb-w
7 years ago
136 posts
Just logged into my site on Chrome and the comment boxes are there... Cleared my history on Safari, closed it out and re-opened it. And now the boxes are back. Anyone know what's going on? I guess I can close my ticket...
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes, I had this issue last week, and here's a thread about it:
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/new_posts/55201/text-editor-glitch-since-todays-updates
The new Core and module updates are/were supposed to fix the issue with the TinyMCE text editor, but seems it's not fixed yet.
I also have a rotating ad slideshow on my homepage that at the same time has stop fully loading for some members...they see some 'still loading' message instead of the slides or something. I don't seem top be having the issues anymore myself, but some members on my site are. It seems to not be restricted to any particular OS or device type. Has been happening on various browsers too.
Clearing browser cache fixes it temporarily, but that doesn't help all my members who don't report it to me and don't think to clear their cache.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 12/13/17 07:12:16PM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
Clearing the browser cache should fix it for good I would expect. If its only temporarily, do you know steps to see it re-occurring?
Deb W.
Deb W.
@deb-w
7 years ago
136 posts
yea, Michael opened it on his computer and it looked fine.... so go figure....I hope it's fixed since I don't think my folks are savvy enough to know what to do if it's not working right. I suppose I could send out a notice to everyone but then again that might confuse people who are not having problems.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
A couple of my moderators and also myself did clear cache on our browsers and then the missing textbox popped up again briefly the next day. I wouldn't know what steps to make that happen. But I myself am no longer having the misssing textbox problem now.
But - my rotating ad slideshow in the middle of my site's main page has suddenly stopped loading for some members- happened at the same time so I have to believe they are connected somehow:
https://fotmd.com/
Right before Christmas is a bummer time to have my paid ads stop working and everyone posting about it on my site... :(
But the ad slideshow is only not loading for some members... including a guy on windows 7 and Chrome... just like me but I see them just fine.
It's frustrating not being able to pinpoint an OS or browser on either of these issues.

By the way, sorry if this is unrelated, but maybe they're connected: I just got the notification email for this thread and the hotlink takes me to the main jamroom site instead of to this thread. Here below i copy/pasted what was my the email notification just now:

A forum topic you are following has been updated:
user: Deb W.
post: No comments box on profiles, images or Private Notes for some users
view: https://www.jamroom.net
Here is the message that has just been posted: .....

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/13/17 07:32:10PM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
Run the integrity check with all the check boxes checked, then run the RESET CACHE tool.

After that if its still happening, I'll take a look. The main javascript file is compiled from all the smaller scripts, so so long as that is at its latest version and the browsers are loading it things should be working.
Deb W.
Deb W.
@deb-w
7 years ago
136 posts
Gremlins.....

Strumelia:
A couple of my moderators and also myself did clear cache on our browsers and then the missing textbox popped up again briefly the next day. I wouldn't know what steps to make that happen. But I myself am no longer having the misssing textbox problem now.
But - my rotating ad slideshow in the middle of my site's main page has suddenly stopped loading for some members- happened at the same time so I have to believe they are connected somehow:
https://fotmd.com/
Right before Christmas is a bummer time to have my paid ads stop working and everyone posting about it on my site... :(
But the ad slideshow is only not loading for some members... including a guy on windows 7 and Chrome... just like me but I see them just fine.
It's frustrating not being able to pinpoint an OS or browser on either of these issues.

By the way, sorry if this is unrelated, but maybe they're connected: I just got the notification email for this thread and the hotlink takes me to the main jamroom site instead of to this thread. Here below i copy/pasted what was my the email notification just now:

A forum topic you are following has been updated:
user: Deb W.
post: No comments box on profiles, images or Private Notes for some users
view: https://www.jamroom.net
Here is the message that has just been posted: .....
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Oops just got another notification with that link... see attached screenshot. My apologies if the issues are not related.
email.jpg
email.jpg  •  174KB

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
where should your adverts be showing strumelia?
(will look into the url thing, thanks. :) )
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Right in the middle of my fotmd.com home page... see two slideshows, see red arrows in the below screenshot... thanks!

Also, this evening like 5 or 6 of my members are reporting the ads not loading and they are so far variously on win 7 and win 10... reporting same on FF, IE, and Chrome. Yet here I am on win 7 Chrome and I also checked iOS iPad with both safari and chrome... and I see them working just fine in all instances.

I have embedded code in myblog posts serving as the slideshows.
slideshow.jpg
slideshow.jpg  •  710KB

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/13/17 07:59:11PM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
i just see "to be uploaded"
location.jpg
location.jpg  •  133KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Maybe because they are in iframes? But all was working fine until like a couple days ago.
Here's a sample of one of my ad slideshow codes, if that helps:
<center><iframe id="comslider_iframe_823921" style="border: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; overflow: hidden;" src="https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/comslider/target/users/1447352950xa2b1470221aa399daeca6cffd78d9e61/comsliderframe823921.html" width="100%" height="165" scrolling="no"></iframe></center>

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes, Michael!... that's exactly what the members are reporting to me "To be Uploaded"!
Now I realize that a couple of members were trying to tell me that same thing when I posted that other thread about the missing textboxes. This all started happening several days ago. Now I am getting fewer reports about the missing text editor boxes, but more reports about the m=non-loading slideshw ads.
See my above screenshot for what I am seeing on all my devices and browsers... the slideshow is working fine for ME. dang!

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
I can see the issue. Trying to understand the structure.

Its related to the jrCore_list call. Probably connected to profile privacy. looking for what now.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
It's like pulling teeth to try to get my members to give helpful info when they report a site problem... as you can see here:
https://fotmd.com/forums/forum/site-questions-how-do-i/29503/recent-glitch-of-missing-reply-post-textboxes
Instead they say things like "The pages are not working right"...etc. lolol...I'm sure you Jamroom developers experience much the same frustration when trying to help us all. ;)

I'm hoping that if the slideshow problem is figured out, that the particular fix may also resolve the other issues that have been somehow connected, such as the missing TinyMCE editor input box that Deb and Lorna posted above, and that my site experienced as well.
Michael thank you SO much for your efforts and time. I apologize, but it's way past my bedtime here and I'm falling asleep at my desk... I must check back here tomorrow...but I really have to crash! zzzzzzzzzzzz

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
should be working now.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Oh you caught me just in time!
So fast ???
I'll need to know what you did if I have to apply the fix to my other jr site...? Or did you fix it across the board?
Will it help with the other issues of Deb and Lorna's sites?

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
I changed this call:
 {jrCore_list module="jrBlog" limit="1" profile_id="1" search="blog_category = side_4" template=$side_tpl}
to
 {jrCore_list module="jrBlog" limit="1" search1="blog_category = side_4" template=$side_tpl}

the first one looks like it should work to, so surprised it wasnt. not sure of the why.
lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
I wasn't seeing the problem with comment boxes until I cleared the site's caches and did a full integrity check. After that I couldn't enter text into any comment box. I cleared my browser cache and that fixed it.
Like strumelia, I worry that non-techy users will not know how to clear browser cache. Might have to send a newsletter out, but I need to be sure clearing cache fixes it permanently.
lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
I have this extra information from one of our users so I thought I'd share it here:

She says "I did test against IE 10 - and the comments work fine, but not in earlier versions of IE (7 - 9). Firefox recently upgraded their browsers - so I would bet a weeks pay, it's a browser issue. Your programmers need to test against the latest version of Firefox. While it's acceptable to not support older browsers, it's never acceptable to not support the latest browsers, as almost always the upgrades are security related. If they review the latest upgrades on FireFox, they should be able to track down the issue. I did review the page, and a lot of the html is dated, which might be causing issues for this site."
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
I have some input on this issue from one of my moderators this morning (a couple hours ago), he knows enough to give me useful details. He said this:

"This morning, from my PC running windows 7, I logged in with chrome, I can navigate, read, view but cannot reply, respond or post. Here's another wrinkle, I thought, hmmmm ... let's see if we can 'quote'. Nope, quote button inactive.
I logged out, used the windows utility to delete cookies, temp files and browser cache. Rebooted computer, logged back in on the same PC, using chrome. Still no text box. Funny thing it appears for less than a second then it's gone. The little word 'Text' is visible denoting the location for the text box but it is not there. Hovering does not pull it up. There is no cursor. There is no text box.
I logged out and logged back in with Firefox. All utilities and features function fine. We seem to have it narrowed to chrome but ... chrome is rilly, rilly BIG"

Again, I myself don't seem to be having these issues, EXCEPT for noticing this one thing just a few minutes ago:
If I log in as a regular member, (on win 7, Chrome) the main top (admin blog) widget area with my description and Paypal button is not loading. Screenshot:
banner bad.png
banner bad.png  •  171KB

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/14/17 08:16:45AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
But on the same computer and browser, when I log back in as Master admin, it loads fine for me and I see it as it should look:
banner good.png
banner good.png  •  201KB

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
On the other hand, a couple of member who could not see the two main page (blog) slideshow ads now report that they can see them fine now, after you did that thing, Michael.

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Just received this info from a regular member, hope it helps:

"I have a text box on this thread on my phone (android) but not on the thread about playing in different keys that Lois has just replied on. Very strange that the two threads differ?"

He sees the texbox ok on the thread that I started as master admin.. but not on the thread he had previously replied to, which was created by Lois, a regular member.

--
lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
Most of the members who reported this issue seem to have fixed it by clearing their browser cache. however, one of them has not and she is using the latest version of Firefox. So it's not necessarily Chrome.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I try to edit a comment with a huge image in it, the text box has a scroll bar for the width, but not for the height and so I'm unable to reduce the size of the embedded image. That's new.
Update: Maybe that's a red herring. I tried it on a different discussion and it's fine. Going back to this big image, I moved down the text with the keyboard down-arrow, until I could see the top of the picture and then I was able to drag the corner to reduce its size. Now, when I update the comment, the image is still not shown in the text box for the update, unless I move down with the keyboard keys. So scrolling down isn't working in that particular case.
updated by @lornawebber: 12/14/17 01:30:15PM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
The scroll bars for the page should work to scroll down in the editor. (screenshot)

Couldn't find the exact image you're talking about, but found another large image on your site.
tinymce.gif
tinymce.gif  •  3MB

lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
Yes, that's right. @michael The one I mentioned doesn't have that vertical scroll bar. Sorry, a link would have been helpful, wouldn't it?
https://pmp-art.com/lola/group_discuss/438/life-and-figure-exhibition-gallery-no-critique#cm1151137

I started the discussion but the group belongs to another user.
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
That image has a 'float: left' on it, so its ignoring the box that its contained in. Remove that and it goes back into its containing box.
no_float_left.jpg
no_float_left.jpg  •  108KB

float_left.jpg
float_left.jpg  •  98KB

perrie
@perrie
7 years ago
435 posts
OMG.. such a relief.. glad to know it wasn't just us.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
I haven't gotten any new member complaints today on missing textboxes or my ad slideshows not loading...and I had a few members tell me things look fixed now for them.... so I think it must be working correctly now. (fingers crossed) :)

But I still have my Main Page admin blog "About" not loading for regular members and logged out people. It loads fine for me and my profile admins though. Please see my last two screenshots for what it 'should' look like and what is actually showing (or rather, not showing) to regular members. I need to fix this on both my Jamroom sites.
--> UPDATE: NEVERMIND !! -I managed to fix this in my custom skin's Index template, using Michael's code tweak above as my guide. Just had to figure out where it was supposed to go. :D

P.S. Perrie, don't act so innocent. I know you did it.
;D

--

updated by @strumelia: 12/15/17 06:54:48PM
perrie
@perrie
7 years ago
435 posts
Strumelia....

Shoooosh.. you'll give away my master, sinister plan that I have been working on with Boris and Natasha for months now. ;)
lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
We are still getting lots of support tickets from users who can't post comments anywhere on site.
In most cases, clearing browser cache works, but in some cases it makes no difference.
I have asked for version numbers, but I know of one on Chrome and one on Firefox.

This is a big problem for us, because a lot of our members are not all that computer savvy. Some don't know how to raise a support ticket, which is their only way of contacting us if they have this problem. Some do not know how to clear browser cache, which in any case only works for some users.

Incidentally, the notifications for new replies here all had a full link to this Forum discussion, EXCEPT for the replies posted by @deb-w . I wonder if this has a bearing, since Deb W was experiencing the 'no comment box' issue at the time.

I have been asking members about browsers, but I wonder if this might be an issue with virus checkers blocking stuff. I'll ask members about that too.
perrie
@perrie
7 years ago
435 posts
Most of the time, if clearing the cache doesn't work, it's on IE 10/edge. I have not found a fix for this yet.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
lornawebber:
We are still getting lots of support tickets from users who can't post comments anywhere on site.
In most cases, clearing browser cache works, but in some cases it makes no difference.
I have asked for version numbers, but I know of one on Chrome and one on Firefox.

Yep, there are still some problems with the missing reply boxes. I just got an email from one of my moderators, who did some checking this morning while logged in as a regular member (our test profile). Here's what he just reported, on my site fotmd.com:

" I have my relatively new HP laptop running a very fresh, clean install of Windows 10. I logged in as a regular user with chrome. No text box. I logged out, cleared browser cache, temp files, cookies etc. using the windows utility in Internet Options then rebooted the laptop. Logged in with chrome, still no text box. Logged out then logged back in with Firefox. Everything is fine with Firefox."

--
lornawebber
@lornawebber
7 years ago
334 posts
We're still getting reports of this problem.
One new piece of information - a user has rold me that clearing cache didn't resolve the problem, but clearing cookies did.
iamtimbo
@iamtimbo
6 years ago
301 posts
I have just noticed (having been off the site for a couple of weeks) that the TinyMCE editor is not showing up on iPad on either Safari or Chrome; i have cleared caches...
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,139 posts
Have just tested here on my iPad and am not seeing any issues. JR 6.1.5 has a NEW version of the tinymce editor, so maybe try resetting caches on your site and doing a refresh on your iPad safari.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
iamtimbo
@iamtimbo
6 years ago
301 posts
Hi there; reset both caches. Has sorted Safari, but not Chrome, although for some reason the Chrome cache resets always feel quite ‘soft’ for some reason! I’ll carry on poking about.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I'm still with one moderator on my site reporting this type of problem to me, seems to be a problem only on Chrome for him. He's pretty skilled at using various platforms and browsers, and he's been testing this a lot for me lately.
Here a screenshot of his latest updates to me, hope it helps in some way:
textboxchrome.jpg
textboxchrome.jpg  •  85KB

--
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
Strumelia, if you login with his credentials on chrome does it show for you?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
I can ask him if he'll let me do that, but I would understand if he was wary of giving me his login (even with a temporary password), since theoretically I'd be able to read his private messages while I was logged in as him.

I'll get back to you on this. But meanwhile... I don't have the problem on Chrome myself, or when logged in as my regular test member or another moderator member who since passed away.

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
However... one little thing I HAVE found that I'm not sure should be this way in the text editor reply box is this:

I find if I have a text reply box, and I click with my mouse in the MIDDLE of it somewhere to start a reply, I get NO cursor and cannot type in it. BUT if I click right at the TOP in the box, where the first line of text might go... then i do get the cursor and can type and post normally. Was this always this way, or is it a new bug?

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
My moderator above has kindly allowed me to log in via his account, and I'll be checking on my own windows pc from his account off and on until Monday evening. So far I was able to make a test post and saw no issues, 'as him'. But then he said it comes and goes for him and today he said he was not having the problem. (was something fix tested today maybe?)

(he's on a new machine, win 10, chrome. I'm on a 6 yr old win 7 desktop, chrome.)

--

updated by @strumelia: 01/06/18 02:51:43PM
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
guess is its chrome's cache had something weird in it and its just starting to clear itself out. Seams like the issue should happen less and less if its a cache issue.

Not sure about the clicking on the editor in chrome, I usually use firefox and use the TAB key to move to the next field.

For firefox at least I can click anywhere to make the editor active.

Tags