Jamroom 6.1 has been released!

brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
I've just finished updating the Marketplace with a ton of new releases for Jamroom Core 6.1. Jamroom 6.1 has been in beta for much longer than normal - I want to thank everyone for your patience and feedback during the beta. The fact that it dragged on longer than normal all falls on me - I'm in the process of moving and didn't anticipate how crazy the last 6 weeks would be getting a house ready to sell.

Jamroom 6.1 brings a ton of improvements, tweaks and fixes - our plan at this time is to have Jamroom 6.1 be a fairly "long term" release - i.e. there are no plans a this time to jump into Jamroom 6.2 (at least not yet lol).

If you are upgrading from Jamroom 6.0.x here's what you want to do:

1) Log in to your site - go to the Marketplace and the System Updates tab.
2) Update to Jamroom Core 6.1.0
3) Run an integrity check with "repair modules" and "reset caches" checked
4) Go back to the Marketplace and update the "Marketplace" module
5) Reset caches again
6) Go back to the System Updates and update the modules individually - if you use the "update all" it's likely to get stuck. If upgrading a single module takes more than 30 seconds, refresh and try again and it should install
7) When all done, run a final integrity check with "repair modules" checked and reset caches
8) Go back to the Marketplace and install the new "System Tools" module - this is a core required module going forward
9) Go to to the ACP -> System Check and make sure everything is green.

9a) You may need to go to the Dashboard and enable workers - on some updates (depending on what you are updating from) the queue worker pause mechanism has changed and you may need to manually re-enable the queues.

9b) If you are running the Video Module, go into the ACP -> Profiles -> Video -> Tools section and run the "Verify Video Files" tool.

That should do it. I know this is a bit more involved than a normal update, but there's some underlying database updates and changes that need to be applied correctly. If for some reason you don't do it in the order outlined about, no worries - you just may notice the marketplace updater showing you that something hasn't updated (when you think it has) - just reset caches and update.

We're excited to get 6.1 moving forward now - maintaining 2 versions of modules is a lot more time consuming.

If anyone has any questions or feedback, please let us know.

If you are a hosting customer and need assistance with the upgrade, please don't hesitate to open a ticket and let us know - we can help.

We hope everyone loves Jamroom 6.1!

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net

updated by @brian: 05/21/18 04:13:02PM
Elise
Elise
@elise
7 years ago
249 posts
ahahahaha next time post this before sending out the release!
I saw the update email and clicked all the buttons, not at all in this order . I'm still standing though :)
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
As long as everything gets updated and you get the integrity check run, you should be good :)

--
Brian Johnson
Black-Eagle
Black-Eagle
@black-eagle
7 years ago
57 posts
Great News !!

I crazy about Jamroom. I love this engine (The best of the best)

Thank you Brian
Thank you the team
Thank you the community

Black-Eagle
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Don't I recall 'something' about the Video module or YT module that we have to do as well? - something to run on your existing videos after doing this 6.1 update? My memory is fuzzy, it was mentioned two or three months ago I believe.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
7 years ago
2,583 posts
Thanks Team!

Very smooth upgrade :)

Strumelia:
Don't I recall 'something' about the Video module or YT module that we have to do as well? - something to run on your existing videos after doing this 6.1 update? My memory is fuzzy, it was mentioned two or three months ago I believe.

That's on the Blog Strumelia:
https://www.jamroom.net/blog

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Thanks! :)
I'm assuming that will work for all types of videos- uploaded, YT, and Vimeo.

--
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Strumelia:

It's just for the Video module - YouTube and Vimeo are not affected.

--
Brian Johnson
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
SteveX:
Thanks Team!

Very smooth upgrade :)

That's what I like to hear - thanks Steve!

--
Brian Johnson
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
Strumelia:

You're probably recalling this blog post strumelia:

"Upgrading to Jamroom 6.1 Videos have gone"
https://www.jamroom.net/michael/blog/96/upgrading-to-jamroom-61-videos-have-gone

If you're missing videos, run the tool at:
ACP -> MODULES -> PROFILES -> VIDEO -> TOOLS -> VERIFY VIDEO FILES
alt=
duke
@musamensa
7 years ago
248 posts
Hi, i did not follow these steps and things have gone a little haywire, how can i backtrack my steps ?

thanks
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
duke:
Hi, i did not follow these steps and things have gone a little haywire, how can i backtrack my steps ?

thanks

You will want to run the offline repair tool:

https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/troubleshooting/114/somethings-wrong-what-do-i-do

Let me know if that helps.

--
Brian Johnson
White Agency
White Agency
@white-agency
7 years ago
204 posts
Been extremely busy over the past 3 months and so have missed putting the updates on as they came out like I usually do.

Had a very long list to work through and I didn't see this post until uploaded videos stopped playing and I came looking !!

Got everything working but had to update the video item detail template as we have our own version. Once I'd done that everything was working again :)
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Glad you got everything working - thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
If you have custom skin templates that override the jrVideo item_detail.tpl file, then the change that you probably need to make is search for "flv" and change it to "m4v".

The reason is m4v is now the default version.

video modules 'item_detail.tpl' page used to have:
{elseif $item.video_file_extension == 'flv'}
but now it has:
{elseif $item.video_file_extension == 'm4v'}

Some of the jamroom skins over-ride the default video detail page with a template at:
/skins/(some skins)/jrVideo_item_detail.tpl

So if you've cloned a skin that has that file, it probably needs the update.

Docs: "Using the Compare tool to keep cloned skins up to date"
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/documentation/jamroom-admin-handbook/2394/using-the-compare-tool-to-keep-cloned-skins-up-to-date
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
My custom skin (originally from a Ningja skin) has only jrVideo_index.tpl and jrVideo_item_list.tpl in its skin templates... not any jrvideo item detail template. so I should be good concerning the m4v reference after updating, correct?

Is the above sequence for updating still valid? I know I've put this off for weeks. And i know there will be some customizations I'll need to get back after it slowly dawns on me that they've 'disappeared'... just like after the last big JR update. Ack!
How exactly does one 're-enable' a queue in the dashboard, though? The pause/refresh buttons there?

--
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,692 posts
Strumelia:....
My custom skin (originally from a Ningja skin) has only jrVideo_index.tpl and jrVideo_item_list.tpl in its skin templates... not any jrvideo item detail template. so I should be good concerning the m4v reference after updating, correct?....
Correct. Since your skin is not overriding the default module templates, the default module templates will be used and they are correct. Nothing needs doing.

Strumelia:....
How exactly does one 're-enable' a queue in the dashboard, though? The pause/refresh buttons there?....
When you go to
DASHBOARD -> QUEUE VIEWER
You will see a message like "all the queues are currently paused" and a button labeled something like UNPAUSE QUEUE, click that.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
OK, so today I (finally) updated my least active of my two JR sites, the pennywhistleclub.com site.
I followed all the steps above, and aside from a few stubborn items that had to be clicked a few times to 'take', all seems well. I got the queue viewer restarted/refreshed and now clear as well. System check is all green. Nothing self-destructed! :) Looks like I can now aim for a Tuesday update on my main site... fotmd.com

The only thing that kind of worries me at this point is that my Customized skin, which I originally created from "Ningja"s original jamroom version over two years ago, now has SOOOO many differences from the latest new Ninja skin version that I wouldn't even begin to know what/how to pick things out to apply to my custom skin anymore. But ---am I correct in thinking--- that as long as my custom skin is working and looking as I want it to, I shouldn't really worry about applying Ninja updates to my custom skin? As long as I keep applying core and module updates and the site looks and functions as I like? (and I don't use SiteBuilder, btw) ....Hoping you can reassure me that I'll "be ok" without slogging through the swamp of a thousand code lines that I don't understand anyway in every ninja template.... =:-\

--
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Glad to hear the upgrade went well - you should have no problems - the only thing you want to check is if you have customized any of the video player templates (i.e. jrVideo_player_dark.tpl, etc.) - there have been some tweaks to the video player templates in the latest video module - just use the "compare" tool to see the changes.

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
I'm now running Video module 2.0.0.

My CUSTOM/active SKIN has only these two:
jrVideo_index.tpl
jrVideo_item_list.tpl

...no jrVideo___ templates that refer to "players".
So I should be ok then? (unless you mean for me to compare the older Video module templates to the new Video module templates...? but I think you meant in my custom skin, right?)

--
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Yep - you should be good.

--
Brian Johnson
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Yay!
Will proceed with updating my main active (dulcimer) site on Tuesday then. Thanks!

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Have applied all the updates to my main active site. No big issues. :)
Am currently watching the 'verify videos' do its slooow thing on over 360 uploaded vids. Slow, but it does show progress, so I guess it's working fine.

My one issue I thought I'd mention that happened identically when updating both my sites:
In the beginning, after updating the Core, I would go to do an integrity check and click to start it and nothing happens except the button goes down but then nothing. I tried multiple times, and refreshing page, hard refreshed browser, tried with another browser... all the same. Rather frustrating, because i coudln't proceed. I also tried doing a simple Reset Caches all by itself first, but no joy either- could not get the IntegCheck to activate.
Finally, instead of starting with the Integ Check, I went to ACP->Reset Image Caches, and did that all by itself FIRST. Right after resetting specifically Image Caches (on both sites, doing the updates on different days) I was able to successfully get the Integrity Check to kick in when I clicked it. Smooth sailing after that, and then continued on down the nice update instruction List in sequence. System check all green, mission accomplished. :D
Thanks JR Team!!

--
sbhadauria
@sbhadauria
7 years ago
129 posts
Hi Guys,

I am getting "error: jrCore_checktype: unable to load checktype plugins" on upgrading PHP from 5.5.9 to 7.2. Jamroom version is 6.1.4
douglas
@douglas
7 years ago
2,767 posts
sbhadauria:
Hi Guys,

I am getting "error: jrCore_checktype: unable to load checktype plugins" on upgrading PHP from 5.5.9 to 7.2. Jamroom version is 6.1.4

Hello, have you installed the jrSystemTools module? It is required for version 6.1 and you can find it in your ACP > Core > Marketplace.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
sbhadauria
@sbhadauria
7 years ago
129 posts
Hi Douglas, I have already installed jrSystem Tools module
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
Please follow up here: https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/new_posts/55296/php-upgrade-issue

--
Brian Johnson
alt=
DannyA
@dannya
7 years ago
584 posts
Where can we find release notes for all the changes in 6.1? I'm particularly interested in changes to the queues and how this might affect the cloud modules
brian
@brian
7 years ago
10,136 posts
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/networkmarket/32/system-core

Click "View Changelog"

--
Brian Johnson
Deb W.
Deb W.
@deb-w
7 years ago
136 posts
I don't know if it has anything to do with updating to 6.1 but I have suddenly lost all my comment boxes. I have submitted a ticket... really need to resolve this ASAP since no one can comment on anything on the site right now.
thanks!
Deb
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
6 years ago
694 posts
Responding to this post (after long absence for fieldwork etc.)

Strumelia:
OK, so today I (finally) updated ....

The only thing that kind of worries me at this point is that my Customized skin, which I originally created from "Ningja"s original jamroom version over two years ago, now has SOOOO many differences from the latest new Ninja skin version that I wouldn't even begin to know what/how to pick things out to apply to my custom skin anymore. But ---am I correct in thinking--- that as long as my custom skin is working and looking as I want it to, I shouldn't really worry about applying Ninja updates to my custom skin? As long as I keep applying core and module updates and the site looks and functions as I like? (and I don't use SiteBuilder, btw) ....Hoping you can reassure me that I'll "be ok" without slogging through the swamp of a thousand code lines that I don't understand anyway in every ninja template.... =:-\

I also worry about managing a custom skin after updates to the original jr skin module.

The existing compare tool is of course useful, but requires manual scrolling through all the templates regardless of whether they need to be updated. And when I compare my custom skin template with the latest jr skin template, I have to somehow determine if differences revealed are dues to changes made by me in the custom template, or a recent change in the skin template, or both. If it is the first, then I probably don't want to revert to the original jr skin version, if it is the second, I need to somehow determine whether the update will interfere with my customization, and if it is the third (both kinds of change), then I will be confused on all counts.

I wonder if it would be possible for JR to provide a more comprehensive skin update tool (or skin management module?), one that automates the process as far as possible.

This hypothetical tool would produce a window with a list of just the affected templates, and the option to update each one individually, manually or automatically, or all of them automatically. And it would distinguish differences that are the result of the new jr skin update, and differences that are the result of a previous customization.

In summary, the aim would be to make updating skins as simple as updating modules.

Perhaps this post should be in different forum, but @Strumelia has described the issue very well, so I have posted here.

Thanks (and Happy New Year to all the JR team).

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 01/01/18 08:16:11PM
brian
@brian
6 years ago
10,136 posts
researchcooperative:
but requires manual scrolling through all the templates regardless of whether they need to be updated.

When a skin is updated the templates that were changed are listed in the change log - there's no need to look at all templates - only the ones that are changed.

researchcooperative:
I wonder if it would be possible for JR to provide a more comprehensive skin update tool (or skin management module?), one that automates the process as far as possible.

The Compare tool already works pretty well - you can:

- "reset" and bring over the entire new template
- side by side compare the new template versus your custom template and bring over any changes line by line

There's really no way to automate this any further - there's no way for us to "know" what you want changed and not changed, so we give you the tools to make the correct decision.

--
Brian Johnson

Tags