I’m really excited to announce that after several months of development we are kicking off the open beta for Jamroom 6!
Jamroom 6 is our first MAJOR version change for Jamroom in 3 years - although there have been a ton of new features introduced since Jamroom 5 was initially released, we felt it was time to have some fun!
A LOT of work has gone into Jamroom 6 to make it the best version of Jamroom yet - we’ve been working like mad since Nate joined the team.
What’s New in Jamroom 6
There are dozens and dozens of updates and new features throughout many of the modules - some of the big ones:
- All new “Follow Me” social skin - our most ambitious social skin ever
- Enhanced Timeline with “Quick Share” and all new sharing options
- New “Simple Chat” module makes chat on your site totally seamless
- New HTML Transactional Email support makes all your system notification email look awesome
- New “Profile Pulse” for profile notification counts
- Beefed up Media URL Scanner module now creates “cards” for shared URLs
- New User Birthday module - say happy birthday to your users
- Core DataStore enhancements to make Jamroom fly on larger sites
We have a ton of other smaller updates, tweaks and fixes that are getting rolled out with the Jamroom 6 open beta as well. Jamroom 6 is a FREE upgrade for everyone - if you are already a Jamroom Hosted or Premium user you'll see upgrades available for your Premium modules as well.
Follow Me - the new super-social skin
Jamroom 6 includes a brand new skin for Jamroom - “Follow Me” - which is the most ambitious skin we’ve ever developed for Jamroom. Not only does it have an awesome look and design, it showcases the many updates to the Timeline and Media URL Scanner modules. Think of “Follow Me” as a beefed up Twitter - you can share just about anything, as well as comment, rate and like almost everything as well. If you run a socially centered site make sure and check it out.
New “Simple Chat” module
We’re also releasing the first beta of the new Simple Chat module. Simple Chat has been designed to be very light weight and integrate into an existing Jamroom 6 site without ANY changes to templates or code - just turn it on The design of Simple Chat was inspired by Skype and is super easy to use. We’ve been using it as our primary team communication channel for over 2 months now, and it’s awesome.
HTML Transaction Email support
The Jamroom 6 Email Support module has been updated with HTML support for transactional emails (i.e. Notifications) - it’s as easy as turning it on in the Mail Support global config. You can customize the look of your HTML emails by editing a single template - “email_html_notification.tpl” in the User Account module.
Core DataStore enhancements
The Core provided DataStore functions have been enhanced and beefed up. There is a new database design that should make listings and DataStore searches significantly faster on larger sites. We’re managing some very large Hosted customers now who are beginning to push the limit on the existing DataStore performance (with 20 million+ rows in some tables) and these new enhancements have been added in to help out. They also help smaller sites be even snappier as well
How to get your hands on Jamroom 6
We’re not releasing Jamroom 6 into the “normal” Jamroom beta channel - we know there are a ton of sites that are subscribing to our regular beta channel, and we need to make sure at this time that only sites that WANT to be on Jamroom 6 will be on Jamroom 6. By putting the Jamroom 6 beta in it’s own channel we can be sure no one installs it “by accident”. While the new 6.0 Core is very stable (as it’s built on the 5.4 Core), we’re hoping to get feedback and more testing done before it goes “live” for everyone.
To check out Jamroom 6, you need to subscribe to the Jamroom 6 Beta Channel:
1) Log in to your Jamroom site as a master admin
2) Go to ACP -> Core -> Marketplace and click on the “Tools” tab
3) Click the “Release Channels” button
4) In the “Channel Invite Code” enter the following Channel Code:
And save - that will add the new “Jamroom 6 Beta” channel to your marketplace. Click on “System Updates” and you’ll see the new updates that are available. After upgrading, make sure and run an integrity check so the new database changes will be applied.
Our goal is to have Jamroom 6 out of beta by the end of October, so if you can help us with testing or feedback it would be super appreciated.
We hope everyone enjoys what they see with Jamroom 6 - as a team it has been a lot of fun finally getting some of these ideas in place. We’re excited about the direction Jamroom is heading and can’t wait to show you what we have in store for the future.
Have a great one!
I'm excited to announce that the Jamroom team is getting bigger!
Nate Riggins, who most of you know as "N8Flex", is now part of the Jamroom Team. Nate has been a Jamroom third party designer and developer for close to 10 years and has always been known for his fantastic Jamroom skin design.
We're super excited to have him on board - Nate's in depth knowledge of marketing, design and user experience is going to be instrumental in helping us take Jamroom to the next level. We also believe this is a big win for Nate's existing customers, as it now expands the level of support offered to those already running a N8Flex design.
All of Nate's existing skin designs are now part of the Jamroom Network - this means if you are currently a Jamroom Hosted or Premium user these skins are now FREE for you to install in your Jamroom!
We have some really exciting plans in store for Jamroom 5 and beyond, and having Nate on the team is going to help us get there in style
Welcome aboard Nate!
We've just recently rolled out big updates to our Newsletter and Mail Core modules and wanted to let everyone know about some of the cool new features that have been added.
Detailed Delivery Statistics
The big area of improvement is the all new Stats Browser (provided by the Email Core) that gives you a detailed look into your newsletter delivery. This includes all new tracking that provides per-email open and URL click tracking, as well as integration with the Geo IP Module to give you a nice audience overview:
The detailed stats also includes:
- Per User open tracking - see how many users actually viewed or opened your newsletter. Note that this requires the use of a small tracking image in the email - users that do not allowed images to be shown in their email client may not be tracked as an "open".
- Per user click tracking - all the URLs in your newsletter that point to a location in your Jamroom site have a special tracking URL created for them - this allows you to see which users are clicking on what URLs. The Mail Core tracks this and provides a special Recipient plugin to send newsletters to "Top Users" - i.e. users that have shown an interest in your content by clicking on a URL in your newsletter.
- Unsubscribe, bounce and suppression - If users unsubscribe due to your newsletter, they will show up in the Unsubscribes tab. If there are bounced emails during your newsletter send, you'll see the Bounces number increment (Bounced support requires the Mailgun SMTP module be installed and configured). "Suppressed" is the number of users that have set their notification preferences to UNSUBSCRIBE for your newsletter - in other words, these are users that have opted-out of your newsletter before the current newsletter.
These new detailed delivery stats are a big step up from the old Jamroom Newsletter module, and should really help you determine what content is most valuable to your users and audience.
Newsletter Module Updates
The Newsletter module has also been updated with some new features:
- Full Page HTML Support - you can now send full page HTML newsletters that include the proper header and footer sections.
- New Template Browser - it's easier now to create Newsletter templates and modify and save them. This is a great way to save yourself time by creating a set of templates that fit your site style and design.
- New Queue Based newsletter send function - you no longer have to keep your browser open during a large Newsletter send - you can close your browser and walk away now if you want The core send function has been updated to be Queue based which means once you submit the newsletter, the send function is no longer "attached" to your browser and just does it's work in the background. You can view the newsletter workers in your Dashboard -> Queue Viewer if you want to see detailed info on what they are working on.
The Newsletter module has been overhauled from top to bottom and should be a much more "complete" Newsletter module than the old Jamroom Newsletter module ever was. Our goal is to help you find the right content for your users - with the new delivery stats and tracking, as well as the ability to make better newsletter designs we think it just go easier.
We'd love to get your feedback on the new features - join us in the Jamroom Support Forum:
and let us know your thoughts.
Along with the all new jamroom.net site redesign we rolled out today, we are also rolling out all new Jamroom "plans" that should not only simplify Jamroom licensing, but also make it much more affordable to run a fully loaded Jamroom.
We've simplified Jamroom into 3 plans:
1) Jamroom Hosted - Jamroom Hosted is the new name for the old "Jamroom Hosting", and is still our top of the line Jamroom service that includes everything you need to run as many Jamroom sites as you want: Unlimited Premium items, VIP Support and top notch dedicated Jamroom Hosting.
2) Jamroom Premium - Jamroom Premium is BRAND NEW! One thing we've heard from customers is that they really like how with Jamroom Hosted all premium modules and skins are included for the domains on your server. But for whatever reason (usually the company they work for won't allow it) some users are just not able to use Jamroom Hosted and must host on their own server.
Jamroom Premium gives you UNLIMITED modules and skins on up to 2 sites (with more being easy to add at a big discount), so you get access to all the Jamroom Network premium modules and skins for both domains - saving over $1,000. We're excited about Jamroom Premium and think it is a really good option for Jamroom power users that want to host Jamroom on their own server.
3) Jamroom Open Source - Jamroom Open Source is the new name for what has always been the "member" level - i.e. you are running the free Open Source Jamroom Core on your own hosting, and purchase premium modules and skins individually. Nothing changes here. Jamroom Open Source is a good plan for sites that are only using a small selection of premium Jamroom modules and skins.
We have a nice new Products overview page here:
as well as a pricing overview page here:
that hopefully makes it all really clear in a succinct manner what comes with what plan. You'll see that we are now using these 3 new Jamroom product names everywhere we can to hopefully make things easier to understand.
If you are a Jamroom Super Pack owner OR have spent $199 or more on premium Jamroom 5 modules or skins, you have automatically been upgraded to Jamroom Premium for FREE!
This is our way of saying THANK YOU for your support of Jamroom and the team, and by being in Premium you can now install ALL premium Jamroom Network modules and skins on up to 2 domains (and if you would prefer to stay on the Jamroom Open Source plan, let us know and we can change you back)
We've also lowered the price of VIP Support from $29 per month to $19 per month - bringing it inline with the cost of the lowest price Jamroom Hosted plan.
If you have any questions about the new plans, please let us know - we'd love to get some feedback on what you like (or don't like):